Sysprep /generalize issue

I have a Dell Optiplex (dont know the model off hand sorry), that I'm trying to use as a master for a Sysprepped image. I have installed all the lastest updates, Avast Anti Virus, Firefox, and thats about it. I uninstalled the soundmax drivers that were causing an error trying to prepare the image for HAL independence, and everything goes smooth until i try to redeploy the image. It goes through the initial Starting Windows Vista for the first time, then goes to the please wait screen. After about 10-15 mins it comes up with an error saying: "Windows Setup could not configure Windows to run on this computers hardware." I'm very confused as this is the same computer I sysprepped. I don't understand how I can't redeploy the image back on to the machine. When I install Vista off the DVD it goes fine. Its just the sysprep'd image I have a problem with. Any ideas?

First things first - install Vista clean on the box, and then sysprep right away (install nothing). If it works there, reinstall clean, then install the software you need (again, no drivers) and try again. As before, if it works, you should be golden (although it is quite possible the filter driver from Avast is causing this). Usually I suggest antivirus installations to always be post-image, as they require kernel-mode drivers that can be configured machine-specific, and sysprep will break that.

thx for the reply. I'm new to Vista syspreps, as I usually just used nLite for XP. How to run stuff post install? I thought it would not be a problem, as I work at best buy and I see all the new HPs come in with McAfee preinstalled on a generalized image. Then again McAfee is crap and Avast is not. I will try without Avast and see what happens.

Basically I just want to make a general Image with the following installed:

Firefox

Avast

TrueImage 10 (tried this didn't work so post install maybe or I will just put the MSI on the desktop)

IMGBurn

D-Tools (this will probably have to be post install due to the drivers it installs)

thats really about it, I appreciate the help, because the documentation on technet is non-existent.

The documentation will get there, although the stuff here will probably still be as good or better :).

As to running things post-install, you can find that in the unattended vista and application installs sections of the boards - this kind of thing gets discussed a lot in those places, especially unattended vista :).