Help Vista RTM 6000 Freeze on 2nd boot

rodommoc

I have Vista Ultimate RTM DVD running on an ECS K7S5A Pro with a VIA VT6421 SATA drive. I have a 120Gig IDE-0 and a 4port USB SD reader. I can install Vista Ultimate. It finishes, then gos out and D/Ls 8 Windows Updates and reboots. On boot up it hangs. When I put in the DVD to repair the install it shows the Vista install as J:\windows. I d/l the latest VIA drivers. I can't use the 120Gig drive to boot from because it is full and I have nowhere to put the info to format it and install to it. I have read somewhere that Vista uses a different boot sector. Could this be the problem? Or could it be it is getting confused because it is using drive #5 instead of Dive #1. It looks at IDE-0 as drive 1 then the USB card readers as drives 2-4 and then the PCI driven SATA drive as drive #5. Also on boot up It passes BIOS then it cant find the boot sector.

Hm - that's very odd that it would hang after the second boot. I just need to make sure that I have this right before I continue: you can always install successfully (I'm assuming you've done this a few times), and then it always fails after windows update install? Can you cancel the update install / download, then reboot to see if it's the updates, or the reboot?