Network connection lost after MS updates

senchang

Hi all, I'm running XP MCE 2005 (latest service packs), McAfee Security- Firewall and Antivirus, ASUS P5B, 2 GB RAM, E6400 CPU. I'm on the latest BIOS (1/27).

After up(down)grading to Media Player 11, I could not get back on line again. Network diagnostics says winsock error 10013 which seems to be an incompatible port issue. I have no idea where to start troubleshooting. My router works, all other devices connect fine.

I rolled back all recent updates, except for the critical updates. But it seems to have no effect. If anyone has any idea where to address this issue, I'm in your debt.

Jack

Hoping to not have to reinstall everything....

A lot of people install updates, and then when something doesn't work, they blame the update install. Remember that most update installations cause you to reboot, and it's the reboot that causes the issues (in that something done before update install and reboot was just waiting for you to restart the machine so it could take effect ;)). Perhaps you should roll back your changes to a restore point and try again?

Yeah Club ur right or it could be the firewall that also is blocking him from his own network connections too.... i had that happen too me all the time..

just like Tarun was meaning about Disabiling your Firewall and AV.....try that then all fails...do the restore point....or u could boot too safe mode and just delete ya Mcafee security sutie...then reboot too original mode...see what that does...