Start menu tweak isn't working.

goodguy8705

I've been messing with nlite for a good 10-12 hours in the last few days trying to create the perfect XP disc. One thing bothers the crap out of me though and I'm wondering if you guys could help me out or point me somewhere that can.

This is what I have it set to do now. I use the classic start menu and I have it set to automatically install and use Luna Element 5 and the black compact color scheme. In the start menu group of options, I check "Display small icons on start menu" but it doesn't work. Everything else works but it still displays the large icons. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Setting is saved here:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects2

All you need is the 9th bit in the Settings value, but modifying only required one is quite picky, because BitReg directive won't work during installation (value does not exist, I guess). So you may set your start menu (and taskbar) exactly how you want it and export the whole binary value to a REG file. It could work if you apply that to the HKU\.DEFAULT tree e.g. from cmdlines.

No promises. :)

I've been messing with nlite for a good 10-12 hours in the last few days trying to create the perfect XP disc. One thing bothers the crap out of me though and I'm wondering if you guys could help me out or point me somewhere that can.

This is what I have it set to do now. I use the classic start menu and I have it set to automatically install and use Luna Element 5 and the black compact color scheme. In the start menu group of options, I check "Display small icons on start menu" but it doesn't work. Everything else works but it still displays the large icons. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I can't help with this but can you tell me where is the thing in nlite (version ?) to enable classic menu ?

Thanks

That's no prob. Just do this:

• set the Start Menu and Taskbar (required value also contains settings such as clock visibility, taskbar autohide, taskbar always-on-top, taskbar position, etc.)
  • restart Explorer (Log Off > Log On), because these settings are stored to the registry while the Explorer is closing)
  • export the StuckRects2 key to a REG file, e.g. tweak.reg
  • after nLitement before burning/creating an image go to $OEM$ directory, place the REG file here, open the cmdlines.txt and add this line under the [Commands] section (including quotes):
    "regedit.exe /S tweak.reg"

• save the cmdlines.txt file and burn/create an image

It works for me, I tested it short while ago. Don't worry about the HKCU rootkey in the REG file, it will be written to HKU\.DEFAULT, too.

Alright, that sounds easy enough. One question though. I don't have an $OEM$ folder or a cmdlines.txt. I have OEM preinstall enabled but I don't have the folder so could someone let me know where to put it and what exactly should be in the cmdlines.txt file. I'm going to have to make a blank one so as much info as possible would be great. Thanks a lot.

Alright... I tried it but it didn't work.

This is the file structure:

/i386/$OEM$/

OEM Preinstall is enabled.

I have a Tweak.reg file that containis the StuckRects2 key in it. I set my start menu and taskbar the way I wanted it, logged out and logged back in. I exported the key to the "Tweak.reg" file. I then put it in the $OEM$ folder allong with a Cmdlines.txt containing the following:

"

[Commands]

"

It still doesn't work. I tried enabling large icons manually and then using Tweak.reg to change it back while in windows and that didn't either. What am I doing wrong? Could it be a nLite setting that needs to be turned on or disabled?

Edited by goodguy8705

This is the file structure:

/i386/$OEM$/

$OEM$ folder must be placed in the same folder like I386 (Windows CD root):

|
|---$OEM$
| |
| |---cmdlines.txt
| |---tweak.reg
|
|---I386

cmdlines.txt should contain:

[Commands]

If file is generated by nLite there is also "rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection nLite.inf,U" line.

I tried enabling large icons manually and then using Tweak.reg to change it back while in windows and that didn't either. What am I doing wrong?

This tweak cannot be applied when explorer.exe is running. It will rewrite the settings back. You need to run the Task Manager, kill the explorer.exe process, import the tweak and then start the explorer.exe again.

Edited by r3incarnat0r

Alright so I need to move the $OEM$ folder up one level.

This tweak cannot be applied when explorer.exe is running. It will rewrite the settings back. You need to run the Task Manager, kill the explorer.exe process, import the tweak and then start the explorer.exe again.

If I do the OEM Preinstall, will I need to kill and restart the explorer process? If so, how do I do that?

Alright so I need to move the $OEM$ folder up one level.

If I do the OEM Preinstall, will I need to kill and restart the explorer process? If so, how do I do that?

Nope, I meant if you wanna import that REG to already installed Windows. :)

When the cmdlines commands are executed, explorer.exe is not started yet.