HP recovery disk/MCE fresh install woes

I'm sorta cross-posting here, but I need to know how much longer I should pursue this....and this has to have happened to others out there. I just haven't found the EXACT case. I've got an HP MCE 2k5 PC. Something happened that caused the original mobo and power supply to die. I thus have replaced them, although not with the same exact model (since it doesn't seem to exist anymore) and with faster RAM. Now when I startup I and Windows starts to boot I get a "configuration error...code purple" and that windows instlal elements are missing. Fine --I tried systme recovery via the recovery partition on the drive. Same thing. I do get an error when I try a full destructive recovery "unable to write user partition". I ordered new recovery disks from HP. Same thing. Recovery seems to work fine -- takes about 2 hours to copy all the files over. On reboot I get the same "configuration error". I afraid (and was warned by HP tech) that the recovery disk won't work right with hardware changes (like the new mobo). Am I stuck? I'd like to just do a fresh install (preferrably of MCE, although anything working would be nice!), but don't have anything but the OEM recovery disks. HP wants to change me $50-$100 just to answer my questions (am I screwed - yes - thanks) and if that simply means I need to buy a new copy of MCE than I'd rather save my money for that (also $100).

Any advice? Can I extract a plain copy of MCE from the recovery disks? What about future upgrades? It seems the recovery disks won't support you if you make hardware changes -- thus obsoleting themselves. What's the use? If recovery disks become useless when I make hardware changes, I'm never going to buy a computer without a full version of the OS on disk again!

Unfortunately, replacing the motherboard with a different one from what came with that computer, then that will make your recovery discs useless. Pretty much, anything that would make your current installation of XP require reactivation, will also render the discs useless.

Those factory recovery discs are made specifically for the stock configuration of your computer. About the only thing that you can change is the amount of RAM and the power supply, most anything else will make the recovery disc into a nice coaster.

About the only way out of it now, is to purchase a fresh copy of Microsoft MCE 2005. The upside of it is that right now, it's fairly cheap, and will most likely come with a Vista upgrade, which makes it a pretty good deal actually.

Weak, weak, WEAK!!! :realmad: That was exactly what I feared. And there is no way to get the same mobo -- it's totally useless.

Not shooting the messenger! Thanks for your prompt reply! My remaining hair thanks you.

Looks like I'm plopping down for a fresh version of MCE. I've learned my lesson. For those of you still buying MCE machines from HP, Dell, and the like -- beware! Recovery disks only go so far. Insist on a full OS install disk.

• 3 months later...
Can I extract a plain copy of MCE from the recovery disks?

Maybe this post would be helpful for you.

Added:

If you want to install MCE, don't use a SLP found in that post, because it installs only Pro-version and no matter you inserted MCE_CD. Your own key you'll find on your recovery CD.

I used HP MCE-SLP key from HP_MCE_Recovery_CD. It's a blame to Microsoft that they have published SLP for Pro and TabletPC, but neither for Home nor MCE. I have paid for my MCE license altogether with purchase of PC. Unfortunately there have not been made any OS recovery CD from my PC before reformat of HDD, and later I spent a lot of effords to find a SLP for MCE. Does MS or OEM care for customers ? Not as much as have. It's a shame.

Edited by Silenti