Can't edit boot.wim properly

I'm trying to get a grip on how to edit the boot.wim properly.

I use these commands:

imagex /mountrw C:\Vista\sources\boot.wim 2 C:\Mount.PE

imagex /unmount /commit C:\Mount.PE

ImageX /export /check /compress maximum C:\Vista\sources\boot.wim 2 C:\newboot.wim

I get an extracted image #2 message..

..but after renaming the wim and replace the original boot.wim I get this error when trying to install:

cannotfindjw5.th.jpg

Is it a different approach to edit this image?

thanks! :)

Hello Clint!

I've had exact the same error messages, when trying out to edit boot.wim the first times. Reason for that error is, that boot.wim contains two images. You can get this info with imagex /infoe <PathtoVistaDVD>\sources\boot.wim.

To resolve the problem you need to leave the images inside "original" boot.wim. Don't export them. I know that this will let grow your boot.wim. But you have no other easy option.

You need to make your changes on the second image inside boot.wim. So first mount the original boot.wim this way:

imagex /mountrw <PathtoVistaDVD>\sources\boot.wim 2 C:\Mount

Than do your changes on the mounted image, like adding a custom shell or bootcritical drivers etc. When finished unmount the image only:

imagex /unmount /commit C:\Mount

Use this boot.wim with your DVD and it will work.

Problem is that Vista-Setup expects two files inside boot.wim. And if you export the second image to a new file, the index for the new image will be 1. Seems to be that setup expects 2 here. And you can't export a second file into a .wim file.

Hope that was explained well enough.

Martin

Edited by FireGeier