Unaccessible computer

rjacobsen

I can't make my computer (Windows XP Home) accessible on the network. I've been through all the steps of the Windows Troubleshooter. I can access files in all the other 3 computers (laptops with Windows Media Center), I can ping from the others using both the address and the name of this computer, but it looks like it doesn't give access to them. When I click on its icon at the My Network Places from any of the others, after some time (more than 1 minute) the following message comes up:

"\\name is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The specified network name is no longer available."

The network configuration (wireless using DHCP) is exactly the same for all of them, I've specified which files I want shared on this, gave names to them, etc. This happened when the computer was connected to another network also, but wired. Maybe some Windows file got corrupted? What else could it be?

• 8 months later...