Installing SBS 2003 R2

sawyer4444

Hi,

I am installing a Small Business Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition for a neighbor / client and need help and advice about installing.

First - a description of his environment:

He has four computers in his farm office currently connected to a LAN for file sharing, printing and internet connection. One computer is used extensively all year long, another has heavy use for 5-6 months. The other two are used infrequently by a bookkeeper and a marketing person (they can go unused for several weeks). One of the reasons for installing SBS is so the bookkeeper and marketing person can login from their home computers to do their work (read mail, upload files, and accounting data entry) instead of going to his home office. (The bookkeeper is moving 100 miles away.) Also, when he is in the field he wants to be able to use his laptop to run applications on his office computer. (He designs and cuts corn mazes world wide. Design is done in the spring in his office, the cutting is done in the late summer, early fall at each farm. Sometimes he needs to change and print the design while he is in the field. The design programs and files are too large to run on his laptop.)

Currently all four computers in his office use the same login name and no password. (Yea, I know, bad practice, but he is stubborn. He just isn't concerned about security. He even leaves his office, which is a separate building on his farm, unlocked 24/7.)

1.) CAL's - Should I set the CAL's up as user or device?

2.) LAN configuration - Should I use two LAN cards to set the SBS server up as the LAN's router or use only one LAN card, putting the SBS server on the same segment as the client computers? (I initially planned on the two LAN card approach so that we could use ISA, but it appears ISA is not included in the standard edition.)

3.) Login Names - I don't think I can keep his one login name scheme. Won't I have to give each user a login name in AD?

4.) Outlook - He want to continue to use his current hosting provider for his web site and email. However, he wants all computers to share one Outlook file for mail, addresses and calendar. I'd planned on using Exchange to do this, but am a little confused how to do it if both the POP and SMTP services are at his hosting provider's site. How do I do this?

I really appreciate your help. I've worked in the computer industry since 1965 and have installed a variety of servers but have never installed SBS before, so treat me as an experienced newbe.

Tom

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Tom,

Im going to try to answer your questions in order.

1) A per device CAL is usually used in places where you have multiple people using the same comptuer to remotely log in; like a call center. A user CAL is usually used when you have a few people that access the remote comptuer from multiple places; like a salesman. If only the bookkeeper, marketing person, and your neighbor access the server remotely a per user CAL should do fine for you.

2) If you have a router setup alerady you dont really have to put a second nic in your server. You just need to forward the correct ports(for remote desktop and any other services you are using) to your server (which should have a static ip). There should be no problem having the local computers on the same network as the router and server.

3) You will have to have login accounts and passwords for all users. There is really no way around this. A domain is supposed secure.

4) It is really easy to setup pop email in SBS 2003. First open server management and open advanced management > pop3 connector. Click the link to open the pop3 connector. Now click add and you can setup the incoming connection and set it to a mailbox (which you should create when you make the user). Now to setup the outbound you need to go to advanced managemetn > domainName (exchange) > connectors > smallBusiness smtp. Right click and go to properties. Click the button that says forward all mail through this ..... then type the smtp server in the field below. Almost done, now click on advanced tab, then outbound security. Select basic authentication and then click modify. You now need to type in the account name and password assoicated with the outgoing mail server. You only need to do this once, all the accounts will use this for the outgoing server.

I hope this helps out. If you have any more questiosn just post them here.

-Andrew