mscomm32.ocx

yimtaka

When installing a visual basic 6 project onto vista it all goes smoothly but when i execute the project i get the following error:

"component 'mscomm32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid"

Just a quick guess; First make sure the file actually exists at:

c:\windows\system32\mscomm32.ocx

If it does actually exist try this; at the Start - Run line type:

"regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\mscomm32.ocx" (without the quotes) then click OK.

See if the message: "DllRegister Server c:\windows\system32\mscomm32.ocx Succeeded" or similar is displayed.

If the file does not actually exist then put the file in that directory and try the above.

When installing a visual basic 6 project onto vista it all goes smoothly but when i execute the project i get the following error:

"component 'mscomm32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid"

Edited by Spooky

Wern't people having some type of incompatability problem with VB6 and Vista? Dunno.

Thanks i have tried that and the error message is still displayed as before. I did get the message telling me that the file was registered successfully.

Thanks for that. According to that webpage from microsoft. The mscomm32.ocx is in the Tested and Not Shipping list as you stated but at the top of that page it says

"Below is a list of the Visual Basic 6.0 runtime files that are shipping on Windows Vista and those that will need to be deployed along with your applicatiom setup."

is that saying that the mscomm32.ocx is not included with Vista so you have to include it with your distributable, any i can't see anywhere where it might suggest that the mscomm32.ocx is not working on Vista.

Did you try putting mscomm32.ocx in the same folder as your app (the project location)?

Thanks for that. According to that webpage from microsoft. The mscomm32.ocx is in the Tested and Not Shipping list as you stated but at the top of that page it says

"Below is a list of the Visual Basic 6.0 runtime files that are shipping on Windows Vista and those that will need to be deployed along with your applicatiom setup."

is that saying that the mscomm32.ocx is not included with Vista so you have to include it with your distributable, any i can't see anywhere where it might suggest that the mscomm32.ocx is not working on Vista.

No, it's saying it was tested, and does not work on Vista. Projects that rely on mscomm32.ocx (or anything else under the "Tested and not working" section) will fail to work properly on Vista. Only the top block of components were shipped with Vista, and those are the only VB6 functional components on Vista. You can include the others if you'd like, but they won't work.

• 11 months later...

The mscomm32.ocx control does work under Vista as I have used it.

The page below includes mscomm32.ocx under the section "Tested and Not Shipping In Windows Vista". It *does* work.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vbasic/ms788708.aspx

The problem is most likely a dependency issue. Open a command prompt and go to C:\windows\system32\ and run "regsvr32 mscomm32.ocx". If DllRegisterServer fails it is likely a dependency issue.

I have reproduced the problem in registering on a clean Vista VM. I will figure out what I am missing and report back my findings.

-Ed

It is not a dependency issue under Vista; at least in my case. It is security issue preventing the DLL from being registered normally using regsvr32.exe.

Here is s a work around you can use to confirm:

1. Start Windows Explorer ( right-mouse click on Windows Start button and select Explore OR hold down the 'E' key and press the Windows logo key button on your keyboard )

2. Right-mouse click on C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe and select Run as administrator

3. At the command prompt, enter regsvr32 mscomm32.ocx

My old C# .NET 1.0 app that installed the MSCOMM32.ocx control worked fine under Vista. I will report back when I figure out what I am missing under my new C# .NET 2.0 app installer. Curious...

-Ed

it will help to solve your problem:

Registry key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Licenses\4250E830-6AC2-11cf-8ADB-00AA00C00905

Default value: kjljvjjjoquqmjjjvpqqkqmqykypoqjquoun

add this manually or using your installer.

now your mscomm32.ocx is licenced and ready for use without rebooting