restoring lost games on W98

John O

My computer was in the shop with a problem and Windows 98SE had to be reinstalled by the technician. In the process, the games that came with the computer were lost. The only Windows 98SE cd rom is a copy I had made a while ago and I was unable to reinstall the games with it. The message I get is : "The file 'cards.dll on Windows Second Edition CD Rom cannot be found. Setup could not find a file on the specified path. If the path appears below, make sure it is correct. Click ok to try copying again." the path shown in the box is C:\Program Files\Creative\WDM_INST. I am not at all a computer person. Is there a way to restore the games?

Thanks, John

CARDS.DLL is used by M$ Solitaire, MSHearts and probably by FreeCell, all card games [if these are what you are referring to] installed by M$ Windows.

CARDS.DLL can be extracted from the CABs, found either in %windir%\OPTIONS\CABS or on your Windows Setup CD-ROM.

Example if you have the Windows 98 SE Setup CD-ROM:

1. Place the CD inside your 1st CD/DVD drive [if you have more than 1].

2. Run this command from any DOS prompt:

EXTRACT /A /Y D:\WIN98\WIN98_61.CAB /L %winbootdir%\SYSTEM CARDS.DLL

If you have the Windows ME (Millennium Edition) Setup CD-ROM:

EXTRACT /A /Y D:\WIN9X\WIN_10.CAB /L %winbootdir%\SYSTEM CARDS.DLL

Make sure D: above is your CD/DVD drive letter, change if otherwise.

If you have all CABs in %windir%\OPTIONS\CABS , point to that directory instead:

EXTRACT /A /Y %winbootdir%\OPTIONS\CABS\WIN98_61.CAB /L %winbootdir%\SYSTEM CARDS.DLL

This way CARDS.DLL will be extracted and copied to %windir%\SYSTEM , where it belongs.

FYI:

%windir% is same as %winbootdir% = environment variables set by the Windows OS at boot time.

Both usually default to C:\WINDOWS on standard Win9x installs.

Last 1 is used only in native MS-DOS mode, outside Windows.

BTW:

CARDS.DLL from WinME works OK with Windows 98 [Gold = First Edition (FE)] + 98 SE card games.

HTH [Hope This Helps]