Vista Will NOT allow an Upgrade Install with "Load Drivers"

Silver0066

I have a RAID setup (Silicon Image 3114 Sata Raid Controller). Vista does not have the drivers. I obtained the .txt drivers from the SI website and I am able to perform a Clean install using "Load Drivers" (formerly "F6" in XP), but NOT an Upgrade install.

I recognize many think a Clean Install is better, but I have performed several Upgrade Installs on computers that Vista provided drivers for. No problem as Vista does a good job of cleaning out all the old XP files.

Does anyone know a way to integrate these drivers into an install disk? Or any other work-around to this problem?

Many thanks,

Edited by Silver0066

There are certain conditions under which Vista will not let an upgrade install happen, this may be one of those conditions where it detects that an upgrade is not available - there are lots of things that can cause Vista to think that a system doesn't meet the requirements for an upgrade install. In these cases there really is no choice but to do a clean install. The fact that you are able to do a clean install and load the drivers during install indicates the Vista install functions are working. It may be something set up in the BIOS on a particular machine, it could be that a particular machine doesn't provide certain information in the BIOS, It could be that Vista doesn't detect a qualifying previous OS to upgrade for some reason (some odd security restriction to the drive for example), Vista may even see a corrupted FAT table from the previous OS that doesn't given any indications of problems in the existing OS or erros in the OS file system that make the OS appear as not really present to Vista but every thing runs fine with the present OS (I actually had one of these odd balls during the beta, run a chkdsk on the OS and fix any errors then try the upgrade), Vista may think that there have been modifications made to the previous OS that makes it appear as a disqualifying upgrade OS to Vista, It may even be that Vista doesn't think the previous OS is genuine, it can be that Vista simply thinks for some reason the previous OS just doesn't exist, it could even by that the conditions present on the system your trying to upgrade and then adding in the drivers may make Vista think that the only option available is a clean install (it happens), in some cases Vista may not allow an upgrade install with certain drivers unless it already has them in-box ....heck...there are lots of things.

Clean install vs. Upgrade - there are pros and cons, but in the end it comes down to what you want to do.

For integrating the drivers on the install DVD why don't you give the MSFN Vista Unattended install forum a try, there are lots of people in that forum who are doing the same thing you ask about.

I have a RAID setup (Silicon Image 3114 Sata Raid Controller). Vista does not have the drivers. I obtained the .txt drivers from the SI website and I am able to perform a Clean install using "Load Drivers" (formerly "F6" in XP), but NOT an Upgrade install.

I recognize many think a Clean Install is better, but I have performed several Upgrade Installs on computers that Vista provided drivers for. No problem as Vista does a good job of cleaning out all the old XP files.

Does anyone know a way to integrate these drivers into an install disk? Or any other work-around to this problem?

Many thanks,

Spooky,

It has nothing to do with the XP Operating system. It is a function of Vista. When you have to use the "Load Drivers" command from the Custom Install Menu during setup, VISTA will only allow a clean install. It is not like the old (F6) system where you loaded the drivers before you started the install, just after booting.

There are certain conditions under which Vista will not let an upgrade install happen, this may be one of those conditions where it detects that an upgrade is not available - there are lots of things that can cause Vista to think that a system doesn't meet the requirements for an upgrade install. In these cases there really is no choice but to do a clean install. The fact that you are able to do a clean install and load the drivers during install indicates the Vista install functions are working. It may be something set up in the BIOS on a particular machine, it could be that a particular machine doesn't provide certain information in the BIOS, It could be that Vista doesn't detect a qualifying previous OS to upgrade for some reason (some odd security restriction to the drive for example), Vista may even see a corrupted FAT table from the previous OS that doesn't given any indications of problems in the existing OS or erros in the OS file system that make the OS appear as not really present to Vista but every thing runs fine with the present OS (I actually had one of these odd balls during the beta, run a chkdsk on the OS and fix any errors then try the upgrade), Vista may think that there have been modifications made to the previous OS that makes it appear as a disqualifying upgrade OS to Vista, It may even be that Vista doesn't think the previous OS is genuine, it can be that Vista simply thinks for some reason the previous OS just doesn't exist, it could even by that the conditions present on the system your trying to upgrade and then adding in the drivers may make Vista think that the only option available is a clean install (it happens), in some cases Vista may not allow an upgrade install with certain drivers unless it already has them in-box ....heck...there are lots of things.

Clean install vs. Upgrade - there are pros and cons, but in the end it comes down to what you want to do.

For integrating the drivers on the install DVD why don't you give the MSFN Vista Unattended install forum a try, there are lots of people in that forum who are doing the same thing you ask about.

Many thanks,

Edited by Silver0066

I'm not saying its just having to do with the XP OS. Vista install isn't just restricted to clean installs because you load drivers, I've done several upgrade installs with having to load drivers with the 'Load Drivers' command during install, Vista allowed me to do the upgrades just fine over XP. I did them during the Beta (except that RC1 wouldn't do it for me), but after RC 1 up to and including RTM I could do them again and the upgrades work fine. So I know that Vista will allow an upgrade install with having to load drivers, i'm just saying that the problem could be anywhere.

Spooky,

It has nothing to do with the XP Operating system. It is a function of Vista. When you have to use the "Load Drivers" command from the Custom Install Menu during setup, VISTA will only allow a clean install. It is not like the old (F6) system where you loaded the drivers before you started the install, just after booting.

Many thanks,

Edited by Spooky

Spooky,

You are just plain wrong about that. The instructions are very clear, that if you have to load a legacy driver, you cannot upgrade your XP system to Vista. You can only do a clean install.

There may be a semantics issue here, in that you can still install from XP, ie, "upgrade", but it will not keep your programs and settings intact, it will do a clean install, even though you did it from XP. I am not using Vista betas, I am using the Business Edition.

Silver

I'm not saying its just having to do with the XP OS. Vista install isn't just restricted to clean installs because you load drivers, I've done several upgrade installs with having to load drivers with the 'Load Drivers' command during install, Vista allowed me to do the upgrades just fine over XP. I did them during the Beta (except that RC1 wouldn't do it for me), but after RC 1 up to and including RTM I could do them again and the upgrades work fine. So I know that Vista will allow an upgrade install with having to load drivers, i'm just saying that the problem could be anywhere.
Spooky,

Many thanks,