RIS: An error was generated by OS Chooser.

likhtin

Dear All!

We created RIS server about 6 months ago and it was working fine and saved a lot of time. But today I got error

The user name could not be found.

An error ocured on the server. Please notify your Administrator.

I looked in events log on RIS server and found this

Event Type: Error

Event Source: BINLSVC

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1042

Date: 1/9/2007

Time: 12:25:23 PM

User: N/A

Computer: XYZ02

Description:

An error was generated by OS Chooser. The error code is in the record data. User: XXX Domain: XYZ.Local Computer Name: mypc

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Data:

0000: ad 08 00 00 ¬...

Since last time I used RIS nothing was changed in server configuration. Server is Win2k3 Ent

So far I found only http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=1042&eventno=2488&source=BINLSVC&phase=1 but nothing good for me :(

I have to roll out soon bunch of PC's, so any ideas, thoughts, hints will be really appreciated!

Edited by likhtin

Are you attempting to use the UPN name to authenticate, rather than just the username in oschooser? Also, did this computer name (computer account) previously exist, and built by RIS previously? We usually only see this error when the RIS server has MS02-050 and one (or more) of the DCs do not, the user tries to use a UPN to authenticate in the oschooser screen rather than just their username and password, or the computer account you are trying to use was previously built by RIS, but the computer itself is different (and thus will have a different GUID).

We figured it!

Problem was that I used PC which was already built once using RIS. I plugged another HD and of course when RIS start I gave this PC different name. So AD was looking for PC with given GUID and find PC account with different name. That was cause. So if you want to install PC with different name you have to remove PC account from AD with "old" name.

Have a happy RISing!

Thank you for you posting. When I post solution I did not see yours yet. (My bad! :blushing: )

Are you attempting to use the UPN name to authenticate, rather than just the username in oschooser?
We used real username in oschooser
We usually only see this error when either the RIS server has MS02-050 and one (or more) of the DCs do not, or the user tries to use a UPN to authenticate in the oschooser screen rather than just their username and password.
Could you please elaborate a bit this for future reference?

Thank you

On Windows 2000 RIS servers, if you install MS02-050 on the RIS server but not the DC's, this can happen. This shouldn't happen with W2K3 servers, as that OS was released after the MS02-050 update and W2K3 binaries were not affected by this issue. If you've got Windows 2000 servers in your organization, you should make sure all of the DC's have MS02-050 installed (or SP4 with update rollup 1, which is a better choice as it includes a few other critical RPC updates that you should also install). Basically, if you're running RIS in an AD, make sure the RIS server and your DCs are all at the same patch level and you won't run into the types of problems that can occur when they are not :).