XP vs Vista with $oem$\$$

On the source files for installing Windows XP in unattended we had the following file structure.

I386\$oem$\$$\System32

This would allow files we specified to come down into the OS system32 directory. We needed these files for something we ran in the cmdlines.txt. Cmdlines.txt is located in the i386\$oem$ directory.

Does anyone know if there is anything simliar with Windows Vista and how it brings down files? I tried adding a $oem$ folder and nothing seemed to happen.

This is pretty well documented in the Vista WAIK, in the User's guide, under the section entitled "Add Content to $OEM$ folders". Basically, $oem$ needs to be in the sources folder, along with an autounattend.xml file with the UseConfigurationSet tag set to true:

<UseConfigurationSet>true</UseConfigurationSet>

Going forward, I strongly recommend downloading the WAIK and reading the help files. You will need them to wrap your mind around the new unattend.

Basically, $oem$ needs to be in the sources folder, along with an autounattend.xml file with the UseConfigurationSet tag set to true:

$OEM$ can be in any root directory of any removable Media, too. It's very convenient to have it on UFD. Makes it easier to change things instead of burning new DVD all the time.

Martin

Thank you for the responses.

I got this to work but wanted to document exactly what I did.

Through Windows System Image Manager open up the distribution share, windows image and answer file. Goto tools Create Configuration Set. This creates the $oem$ structure, the autounattend.xml and a new file structure with the install.wim.

Make sure the auotunattend.xml has the follwoing info.

<UseConfigurationSet>true</UseConfigurationSet>

Do an install and make sure files come down as expected.

Matt