same disc, different key

Deadowl87

A few months ago, I took a couple of days made an awesome nlite cd for my desktop pc. now, I need to reformat my laptop, which uses the same install disc (msdn academic alliance) but i need to change the key. Can it be done? If so, how? If you know please take a couple minutes to post and let me know, as I'd really like to get it done asap.

Copy the CD as an ISO, open the ISO with WinISO or ISO buster, search the i386 folder for winnt.sif,extract it, open that with notepad, where it lists product key,

ProductKey=xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

change to the new key. Then save the file in notepad. And add the newly saved winnt.sif to the i386 folder.overwrite the old file when prompted. Save the ISO and burn with the program of choice

• 4 months later...

Is there a way that I could set up the file from the start so that the other product keys would just work instead of having to edit the ISO each time I need to use a different key? I have more than one machine so I am trying to create a single CD that will work with all of my product keys. MS says that I can do this using something they have called OPK Tools. But why should I when it is most likely not as good as nLite.

Put an invalid product key in your windows nLited, at the install the windows stop. Digit a valid product key, hit enter and the install continue.

0d

Od,

I have a feeling that I didn't understand you properly because it is not working. You say to build my CD with an invalid product key (so I put the key for my office CD in there), and when the install is in progress it should stop and ask me to enter a differnt key. At this point all I have to is enter one of my valid keys and this should work each time?

I change my response.

I have tested this way: I created a nLited cd using a source with xp professional but no product key digited in Automatic Install.

The install begin normally and at T-33 pause asking for Product Key, I digit my key and install continues without problem.

0d