Spacemonger 1.40

Jaqie Fox

This is a small review of a freeware program some of you may already know about, Spacemonger 1.40, available at their official web page, www.sixty-five.cc.

The program is freeware for Windows 95 and higher operating systems. This is their last free version, there is a new pay-for version available at their new website, with many more features.

Without further ado, here are the screenshots.

Please note: any downsized image is clickable for the full-size image

spacemonger140-t.jpg

Ever wonder where all the space went on your drive? What file or directory is hogging up how much space? Do you have a huge file somewhere with a copy and just don't know about it? Or just want to see visually how big every file is on your system? Then spacemonger is the tool you will wonder how you ever got along without! As you can see in the screenshots, it shows visually the file structure on your drive, and can be configured in many ways. Turning off the 'free space' allows you to see what is taking up the space in more detail, and double clicking on a directory 'shell' zooms in so you can inspect just that directory instead of the whole drive, allowing you to get down to see the size difference in even the tiniest files in an arcane subdirectory in your system. A single right click will yield a delete ability and several other handy functions.

The only real drawbacks are the clunky, clowny look to the interface, and that it will not auto-update the directory structure - which the new version does. If you delete many files with it in one operation, it has a tendancy to crash, as well.

Despite the problem with crashing, it is still a very much worthwhile program which is one of the very first programs I install and I simply can not live without.

My rating for it is definitely 4 out of 5 stars.

What are your thoughts?