Copying shortcuts to the quicklaunch bar

Jeffr

this is the code i have in one of my cmd files, but it doesnt seem to work

COPY "%systemdrive%\install\Windows Media Player.lnk" "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\"

any suggestions?

have the same problem i try to move nero and regcleaner shortcuts from desktop to quicklaunch but it says that it can't find the path. oddly enough after the installation is done and i boot into windows when i do it from cmd.exe it works.

MOVE "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Ahead Nero\Nero - Burning Rom.lnk" "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\"

MOVE "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\RegCleaner.lnk" "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\"

a guy whos name i can't remember posted some useful variables in this forum here they are i'm going to try them maybe it will help

%AppData% - common Application Data directory ex. C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data

%UserProfile% - location of current logged on user's profile ex. C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator

%AllUsersProfile% - location of "All Users" profile ex. C:\Documents and Settings\All Users

%DefaultUserProfile% - location of "Default User" profile ex. C:\Documents and Settings\Default User

%ProgramFiles% - default directory to install programs to ex. C:\Program Files

%SystemRoot% - Windows directory ex. C:\Windows

%SystemDrive% - drive system boots from ex. C:

%Temp% - Temporary files directory ex. C:\Temp

%Tmp% - Temporary Internet files ex. C:\Temp

%UserAppData% - user specific Application Data directory ex. C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data

Not to be nit-pickin' ... From what I've tried and read, DefaultUsersProfile never exists. Certain variables are available during setup, certain other during run-time. You can type the SET command without parameters or switches to see the current list of environment variables. If you are curious, you could add something like

PAUSE

SET

PAUSE

to one of your setup batch files, and you can see what is there to use.

Concerning Jeffr's problem, as WebMedic says, be sure the directory exists. I prefer to use XCOPY, with the full directory structure. Eliminates these kind of problems, avoids checking to see if directories exist, and is generally a much better command than COPY (date compare, only copy existing files, etc). Also, should you running this in the pre-gui reboot stage of setup, USERNAME will not exist.

Strange: I went through a lot of research to figure out how to keep the Media Player link from being added to the quick launch bar...