permission problem

xpyrate

A few things I can't do:

Run vbscripts. I get a could not locate automation class named "wscript.shell" error.

Open msconfig. I get an access denied error.

Edit registry permissions. I can't even do it in safe mode logged in as admin.

Lower RAM usage in cacheman on system processes, but I can lower them on user processes.

I'm sure there's some other things I can't do, I just haven't noticed.

I really don't want to have to reinstall again. I've tried djlizards repair permissions but that didn't work. I'm 99% certain this has something to do with some setting I entered into nLite 1.2.1 but I am not exactly sure which one it was. If I have to reinstall I will, but if anyone has a better idea let me know. I downloaded secedit and will tool around with that, but I am not confident I know the proper form to use it, so if someone has used it to reset permissions could they post what options they used?

Edited by xpyrate

• 1 month later...

I'm bumping this again, because I've reinstalled about 20 times and I haven't been able to do those things with any of the installs. I don't know if this is some weird bug or there is something in one of the things i removed which prevents users from doing those things.

Another thing is I can't use my printer, I get an access denied unable to connect message. This *could* be because it's a networked printer but I really doubt the problem is on the server side.

Not being able to use msconfig I could live without, but I need my printer and I need to run vbscripts.

Somebody must have some sort of guess? I've uploaded my session file if it's any help. OH, and I've since updated to 1.3R2.

LAST_SESSION__205301.20_21.18.31_.INI

Edited by xpyrate

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure this has something to do with the way nLite configures the user accounts. I remember the last time I did this I was just "owner" and everything worked fine. That time I had to input my password in the welcome screen, but this time I don't need to for some reason even though I have it configured to require a password. And I don't know how to force it to have you input your password at the welcome screen.

The only person I've seen fix this problem is by doing a system restore but since this is a problem with the install itself I don't have that luxury. So it has got to be a fixable setting, but where?

Cause I don't like it :P I know... I'm a pain in the arse :wacko:

Is there a way to bypass the user account creation menu? Cause last time I did it(v0.97r1 I think), there wasn't those options and I used the default "owner" account...and everything worked fine... dunno if that'll fix it but that's the best I can think of. What if I made the account "owner", would that just make my default user account "owner"? As opposed to creating a separate account whose name coincidentally is named owner...

Maybe I'll doing it.. not having it unattended... but with the serial number... cause I hate inputing that stupid thing...

Thanks for responding btw :)

Edited by xpyrate

Try without any hotfixes maybe you integrated some ment for SP2.

About user menu, as the popup says Home edition needs one created Admin, Owner is kinda lame, but if you want it after install try to logon as Owner and set you autologon to it with TweakUI.