bandwith reservation

BigDaddy

At home am running a server Win2k3! And on it I run eMULE, BITTORENT 24/7! This server is also responsible for DHCP,DNS,ICS,Firewall,FileSharing for 4 client computers.

I will give an example of what I would like to achieve:

Since the internet connection is only 1024/256 I would like a way that even if BITTORENT is running at 100KB DL, Win2k3 would automaticly reduce its DOWNLOAD to 20KBs if any of the other 4client PCs would require 80KBs!

I hope I made some sense with this example.

Is it possible, perhaps the QOS could help?

Not perhaps, QoS will help. But you need to understand how it does, and does not, work.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserve...logies/qos.mspx

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServe...3.mspx?mfr=true

Read the overview sections, the sections about Differentiated Services Code Point (yes, it's related, and yes, you need to understand it in at least basic terms), and use the links for the other QoS tools and resources you might need to get started.

Read those links and also some references to those links on the MS page but I'm still no closer to settings this up. All I have achieved thus far was the installation of QoS on the W2k3 server.

I thought that such a thing should be as simple as the following example:

In the server there are 2NIC cards

NIC1->connects to ADSL

NIC2->connects to SWITCH onto which 4client PCs are connected.

Every demand that comes from NIC2 should bi given the highest prirority thus lowering the bandwith that BITTORENT is currently using so the other client PCs wouldn't notice the slowdowns whilst surfing or DL something...

One other thing I forgot to mention - your NICs need to be 802.1p compliant. Once QoS is installed on your server (and your server and clients all have the QoS Packet Scheduler enabled, you should be able to configure things on the server via the QoS Admission Control snap-in. Give this link a read:

http://labmice.techtarget.com/networking/qos.htm

Most NICs are, but you can usually tell by going into the properties of your NIC in device manager or looking it's model information up on the internet. As to Linux, it depends on the distro, but QoS can be managed a few ways on Linux (I personally prefer this, but again, there are probably more ways than I'm even aware of to do this.

Sounds like you need to do some more research on your own before diving into QoS :).