Question on coding behind email and links inside, please help

FST2006

Hello,

I have two questions and hopefully someone can help. I'm using Outlook 2003.

Here is first question, How can I view all the coding and etc that is behind the email? Meaning, when I open the email it looks just fine, but if I wanted to see all the detailed side of it, like where it came from, coding and etc. How can I do this?

Second question, some of the emails I receive have links in them and I wanted to know if there is a way to see where the link points to before clicking on. I tried right clicking...but there is no option to view this info. Please let me know how this can be done.

Thanks for your time,

Jay S

Sorry for the late response.

If you have Outlook (and you're not talking about Outlook Express...) Duh, I see you said 2003...

1. Open the email message. Hit View-->Options and read the "Internet Headers"

2. When I place my mouse pointer over top of a link, I get a yellow box that shows me the *actual* link behind the text or image displayed. If you don't see that, perhaps you turned OFF viewing screen tips. I can't find the setting in Outlook, so perhaps it's in Word. Or perhaps you're just not keeping your pointer there long enough? If none of this works, try running Detect and Repair from Outlook's Help menu.

Edited by Anne Troy

Hello,

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question. I know some people might have thought it to be either a newbie question or just plain dumb....so I truly do thank you for taking the effort.

I tried the "Internet Headers" tip and it did show me some of the info I was looking for. I tried asking the so-called 'techs' from gateway and they had no idea on how to find that option.

Also, I tried doing a search in outlook help, but could not find how I might be able to view the path in a link. You mentioned about the tool tip, and from what I can tell it is turned on. Because I tried moving the mouse pointer over a link and it did show a small box, with the path...BUT...the link I tried it over, already showed the path. So, I guess your thinking why didnt I try it over a link that just had text...and I did do that and it didnt show me the little pop-up box...so I dont know what the hell is going on.

What I'm trying to do is similar to the same thing, when you are browsing online. Meaning, if you goto a website and that site has a link which reads: Click for 'Tech Tips' and the word tech tips is the link. If you right click on it and then goto properties, it will show you the full path of that link. In Outlook 2003, if you try and right click, it doesnt give you this option.

If anyone knows how I might be able to figure this out, please let me know...thanks again for all the help.

Jay S

Hi, Jay.

I tried asking the so-called 'techs' from gateway and they had no idea on how to find that option.

Those guys only support their PCs. They don't support software. If you get someone at Gateway or Dell or whatever that answers a software question for you, it's just dumb luck that they knew the answer. It's not reasonable to expect them to know all the softwares that are installed on their PCs.

As for the link...make sure that your Status bar is ON in Internet Explorer (View-->Status bar). Then, when you hover over any link, it should display at the left of your status bar.