What's The Best Antivirus for Windows XP Pro x64?

PauloPires

If you're running an x64 version of Windows and are worried about memory requirements, that seems silly to me. But, to each his or her own - like I said before, this kind of question will get all kinds of responses, with no "right" answer.

Theoretically speaking a program that is 1KB long is likely to be faster than a program that is 1PB long. Realistically speaking there is a strong correlation between program size and speed. This is probably because the authors that care about their memory usage are the same authors that want their programs to be fast and reliable. The authors that don't care about memory usage are the same ones that buy crashy bloated libraries from any low quality vendor just to add one more unnecessary gewgaw. All the memory in the world can't counteract the poor quality products that result from practices that use too much memory.

Lazy bloatware programming is fine for occasional use programs but there's no place for it with stuff that sits in your system tray particularly when it monitors everything that goes on in the system. Either you're perfect or you're out!

Edited by severach

I'm using Avast! Antivirus; I've had an issue with Avast! Antivirus concerning its P2P Shield (slowed down transfers A LOT!) so I disabled it.

I also tried NOD32 but I had too many false alarms so I uninstalled it.

I don't care to mention Symantec products, they're bloatware.

Edited by war4peace