I no longer HAVE ADMIN ACOUNT WITH ABILITIES

nydiak

Hello there,

I am a new member that urgently needs help!

I have Vista RC1 build 3550, or something like that.

Now what has happened about a month ago...

- My account is limited

- My admin powers have gone :realmad: !

- The backup admininstrator account with the blank password is disabled!

What this means is that:

-I can't install anything

- System restore WON'T WORK

-I can't make a new account or change my account to administrator status

-I can't ENABLE the backup "administrator" account, I don't have "administrator account"

-I don't know what to do

Could someone please help me get out of this terrible mess :blink: , I don't really want to have to reformat my computer again :(

Is is possible to do so without having admin abilities?

Your still using RC1. The last build available to the beta testers before RTM was RC2 build 5744.

Your problems seem like the reduced functionaility sceinario because the OS failed activation or validation. Use a valid key and re-activate Vista. If you don't have a valid key then your out of luck.

If you do have a valid key and have activated, have you manually modified or replaced any files (.dll, exe...etc...) that are native to Vista? I ask because manually modifying or replacing some files in Vista can cause validation failure which may allow a proper activation to occur but a validation to fail.

You said "Now what has happened about a month ago"....thats about the 30 day limit without activation before the reduced functionality mode kicks in. A re-install is not going to solve the real problem for you if the problem is activation because 30 days after you re-install and haven't been able to activate the same things going to happen again.

However, i really think that if you have a valid key that you have failed to activate, and if you do not have a valid key and have not been able to activate your experiencing the reduced functionaility mode due to lack of sucessful activation or validation (requires a valid key).

Try re-activating.

Hello there,

I am a new member that urgently needs help!

I have Vista RC1 build 3550, or something like that.

Now what has happened about a month ago...

- My account is limited

- My admin powers have gone :realmad: !

- The backup admininstrator account with the blank password is disabled!

What this means is that:

-I can't install anything

- System restore WON'T WORK

-I can't make a new account or change my account to administrator status

-I can't ENABLE the backup "administrator" account, I don't have "administrator account"

-I don't know what to do

Could someone please help me get out of this terrible mess :blink: , I don't really want to have to reformat my computer again :(

Is is possible to do so without having admin abilities?

Edited by Spooky

before you do any changing to the hard disk, if you have upgraded from a previous version then you will obviously want to get your data back (assuming you didn't back it up beforehand, I'm always forgetting to do that). My method for retrieving your lost data is a bootable OS disk. I would recommend Knoppix if you have any background in linux, and even if not its still pretty easy to you. Just pop it in, boot from the CD, and it brings you to a standard graphical interface, from which you can mount your hard drive and copy it to you memory key or email it to yourself.

use the help in Vista and search for Activate or Activation.

I've found my key,

Where do I input it into my computer or the web?

Where exactly ?

If i put the key in will it fix the problem :)

Ps - I do have knoppix, but thats the last option

thanks