Problem with nLited builds and Backup Exec 10d

MrRaines

Hi all

I'd like some input on this if anyone has any ideas.

I have been using nLite successfully for some time now to integrate drivers and hotfix packs into XP and win2003 OS disks.

Recently, however, an issue has arisen when using Symantec Backup Exec 10d on servers built with nLited media. All system state backups fail with the following message:

Error: e000fedf - A failure occurred reading an object.

I should say that Windows Backup backups of the system state seem to verify ok - but Backup Exec isn't happy.

I have narrowed the problem down by using two different builds, one with the drivers included, one with the hotfixes included. The hotfixed build was fine but the build with drivers only failed with the same error.

Does anyone know what nLite does to integrate the drivers? I have checked and driver.cab on the CD grows so I know it's integrating and recompressing the CAB file. But is anything else done? I need to try and isolate the cause of this issue so a solution can be arrived at.

Thanks for any ideas

MrRaines

I can't tell you how it happens, but I can tell you that if you reinstall Windows Server 2003 service pack 1, it fixes the problem. Apparently, there are a couple of corrupted files in the System32 folder, one of which is plugin.ocx which cause the problem. Running SFC did not fix it, it said it couldn't overwrite the files in question. I worked with a Symantec Advanced Support Rep, and he says he's seen dozens of them, and the only thing in common was the original install was done from an Nlite CD. That's why I'm here, trying to find a solution.

Thanks for that. I tested it on my VMware build and indeed it seems to correct the problem.

Strange that within days of my posting this query now two others have started threads on this exact problem.

Are we SURE that there is indeed corruption in some files? If you do a Windows Backup of the system state, it verifies successfully. It's only Backup Exec that has a problem.

We could do with a mod merging the three threads so we aren't all talking repeating ourselves in all the threads.

I am interested in seeing whether this is a bug in nLite or whether it's just a Backup Exec problem.

I need to be able to integrate drivers into the OS CD because these cheap crappy servers like HP ML110 etc don't come with a floppy drive and HP say that using a USB floppy drive (even a HP one) is not supported for installation. Some USB floppy drives do work but others don't.

Follow up information: I reviewed my System Log on the affected machine. System File Checker when it ran complained about not being able to replace plugin.ocx in the System32 folder. However, when I run a search for that file now, it only shows up on C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386. It does not show up in any other place on the Hard drive. I did some research on that file, and it appears to be some sort of shim for Internet Explorer compatibility. On my next install (this week), if I have the same problem, I will simply delete that file and see if the error goes away prior to reinstalling the Service Pack 1.