How to make a bootable recovery CD or DVD for my PC

ramcrash

How do i make a bootable recovery CD or DVD with everything of my PC like the one that comes with the notebooks ASUS and Toshiba? So i can recovery my PC every time i need to with out having to install everything again step by step.

Thank you!!!

How do i make a bootable recovery CD or DVD with everything of my PC like the one that comes with the notebooks ASUS and Toshiba? So i can recovery my PC every time i need to with out having to install everything again step by step.

Thank you!!!

Toshiba uses Norton's Ghost 2003, just like I do.

Once you've got your PC all cleaned up, tweaked out and customized the way you want it,

you can run Ghost from a boot disk (floppy or CD) and write out the compressed Image file to a DVD for permanent storage. If you boot up with a DOS boot floppy, like my Ghost boot disk, Ghost will offer to put it on the DVD for you thus making it a Bootable Restore Disk.

The Ghost backup will still work, even if you have to boot up the PC with a separate boot disk.

Andromeda43 B)

Edited by Andromeda43

Ok, but with Acronis TrueImage i can create the image bootable, and with the norton ghost i can detect some Sata Hard Drives.

Was that a question?

What Acronis does in a half hour when writing the image file to a HD, I can do with Ghost in five minutes and without all the pages of options to wade through.

I just recently tried Acronis, but couldn't get Acronis to see my DVD drives (2) at all. I gave it every opportunity to work for me, but it wet the bed in live tests. So I'll just continue to use Ghost 2003 which I've used for several years now, with absolutely NO problems.

Actually, I've been using Ghost, originally written by "Ghostsoft, Inc." in the mid 90's., in some form or another since 1996. I still have Ghost images of my HD going back several years. If I need some old, long since deleted file, I can use "Ghost Explorer" to go back into those old archives and extract the file.

Through many HD crashes and Windows upgrades, I've never lost one single file. Every thing's packed away neatly in a Ghost Image file. :thumbup

Cheers!

Andromeda43 B)

Either one should work. I too use Norton Ghost (and prefer it for your situation), but have also used TrueImage successfully.

If you use Ghost, you can install it in Windows XP, run the app and it will set everything up for you. You can choose your destination (in your case the CD/DVD drive), select from a few options and start the process. It will automatically restart the system and boot to ghost and write the image to the drive specified. When writing to CD/DVD, it will even create the first disk of the image span as bootable for easy restore jobs.

*One note: you may have to set some BIOS settings to get the correct CD/DVD drive to work, esspecially if you are using a USB drive. Most BIOS will support USB devices, but, for instance, on some of my Dell's I have to disable the on-board CD drive to use my USB DVD drive once Ghost boots up in DOS, otherwise my system doesn't detect it. That's just an example - you may have to play with it if it doesn't work as is.

On a related note, if you already have a ghost image that you saved over the network, you can also write that to CD/DVD, but it a little more difficult. Here's a good website with instructions on how to create a boot image that you can use create a bootable Ghost CD/DVD that contains an image (or image span) that has already been saved to a hard-drive. Once you have created that boot image, you can use to write each span of your ghost image to a disc and go from there.

Ghost Boot Disk Image

Edited by TheFlash428

Ok, but there exist a way to do that automatically?

How are you going to do it automatically when you still have to type in a name for the backup image and in the case of writing to a CD or DVD, you have to open the drive and insert a disk?!

In most cases where the same batch file was used to do an Automated backup, the same file name was used each time, overwriting and destroying the previous image file. The image would have to be written to a second partition or hard drive and could not be written to a CD or DVD. Ghost could be programmed to do that, but the result is far less than satisfactory.

Do it manually and you'll get everything you need in the place where you need it.

Cheers!

Andromeda43 B)