W Media Player probs

Westislander

One week ago while playing an internet video file system crashed & wudn't rebbot past error file (Norton System). Ended up reinstalling 98SE & evrything okay except WMP willnot play CD's or Radio stns. "cannot play back the audio stream: the audio format is not supported", web help gives error code 800425c. I have removed WMP ( & manually deleted initial version) & reinstalled but no joy. I have installed Winamp & it plays cds & some internet radio so its not hardware. What gives?

I have completely removed all traces of Windows Media Player from system.

Can I reinstall WMP or Internet Explorer from W98SE disk? I don't want a full windows install.

Right now IE does not show up in control panel: Add/remove Listing. So can't add additional progs that way.

Can I reinstall WMP or Internet Explorer from W98SE disk? I don't want a full windows install.

Right now IE does not show up in control panel: Add/remove Listing. So can't add additional progs that way.

The freeware version of 98lite might help you with the above http://www.litepc.com

You can reinstall IE from your cd but that's a very old version. WMP from your CD and the one installed bij IE is wmplayer2 ver6.4. This version cannot play audio cd's, really, it never could! I still have the mplayer2.exe on my system and there is no option to use .cda. (just checking...)

You have a cdplayer.exe for that (also on win98 CD, add/remove programs -> windows setup) I would upgrade to WMP9.0 or use another mediaplayer like Mediaplayer Classic.

But something is wrong/broken if you don't have IE6.0 SP1 in add/remove programs and you should reinstall IE first.

The freeware version of 98lite might help you with the above http://www.litepc.com

Thks I've dowloaded it & will consider it. In meantime I'm learning to like winamp 5.3

You can reinstall IE from your cd but that's a very old version. WMP from your CD and the one installed bij IE is wmplayer2 ver6.4. This version cannot play audio cd's, really, it never could! I still have the mplayer2.exe on my system and there is no option to use .cda. (just checking...)

You have a cdplayer.exe for that (also on win98 CD, add/remove programs -> windows setup) I would upgrade to WMP9.0 or use another mediaplayer like Mediaplayer Classic.

But something is wrong/broken if you don't have IE6.0 SP1 in add/remove programs and you should reinstall IE first.

Thks, I'm going to try live with Winamp before anymore installs. I had become accustomed to wmp but I think winamp will give me what I need. I only use IE once a month or so.