windows file protection

frozndevl

Okay, I've searched and I have found ways to disable this. However, this isn't something I want to remove, but its annoying since everytime I install a new driver or device, it pops up. My install cd is pretty basic, I added in SP2 and a mess of hotfixes and patches, the post SP2 ones included in the thread here. Is adding in all these hotfixes causing the WFP to pop up all the time?

Thanks

hi frozndevl! Windows is built that way ... as per MS

WFP uses the file signatures and catalog files that are generated by code signing to verify if protected system files are the correct Microsoft versions.
... you said you have already figured a way to do so but just in case yuo have not come accross this yet (this uses modified files), allow me to quote Fred Vorck:
On a different subject... SFCFILES.DLL by the way works on ALL versions of Windows, just to clear that up. SFC.DLL and SFC_OS.DLL are different matters entirely. You can use SFCFILES.DLL and no other modified binaries and SFC will be disabled. To recap, for the confused :D

To shut Windows File Protection off:

Use a modified SFC.DLL in Windows 2000

Use a modified SFC_OS.DLL in Windows XP and Windows 2003

No need for a modified SFCFILES.DLL

To disable Windows File Protection causing it to check an empty list:

Use a modified SFCFILES.DLL in ANY version of Windows

No need for a modified SFC*.DLL

For complete overkill, so that Windows File Protection is shut off AND has an empty list which it doesn't even check:

Use a modified SFC.DLL in Windows 2000

Use a modified SFC_OS.DLL in Windows XP and Windows 2003

AND Use a modified SFCFILES.DLL in ANY version of Windows

... this info was very helpful! :) ... to add, deleting .cat files is likewise doable via nLite ... Edited by Kiki Burgh

• 2 weeks later...

Just one note: if you do this disable-enable thing don't post about SFC popups later on because nLite doesn't filter out the protection when the SFC is disabled.

And for those who get the popups anyway I hear ya.