What does the apply button in properties-->themes really do?

straytoasters

I have more or less asked this before but maybe someone has something new. Basically it is this...the machines I use are all Ghosted regularly, I disagree with the theme used on them (because we also do software reinstalls...and the theme we are required to use on reinstalls IS NOT the theme our work machines are Ghosted with). Anyhow most theme elements can be edited in the registry, then do a net stop theme, then net start themes and all is good. THE EXCEPTIONS to this are the wallpaper and the title text on a window. I know where both of these elements are set in the registry, but but they are appearently not "directly" part of the theme settings. So what does the apply action in display property do beyone net stop/start to push the wall paper and title text on through to "active". If you change these elements and reboot they are of course pushed on through and become active. Right now I am using a autohotkey script to open the display propertys and make the changes I want, but I would really like to have it work as a direct part of my batch file. Ideas?

Straytoasters

i think it could be one of two things.

maybe Explorer.exe needs to restart for the changes to be visible. (open task manager, kill explorer.exe, then file > new task > explorer.exe) that will save you from having to restart and could of course be scripted.

the other possibility is that it's one of those pesky user settings that only gets written at logoff. there are many settings like this and they're a pain because if you change it manually in the registry, the system overwrites it at logoff with what it thinks should be there.

to change those settings manually you need to change them before the user logs on, not while the user is logged on.

I have tried the first one before (no luck) and as for the second one...yeah that may be...but if apply from display properties can do it...there has to be some .exe or "dll ran as an app" that can pull of this same function you would think (or at lease I would).

Straytoasters