UAC and IE Protected Mode

Spooky

It seems that if you turn off UAC that the Protected Mode in IE doesn't work regardless of the setting in the Tools\Internet Options\Security tab setting that is checked to enable it. If you start up IE in Vista and you have UAC turned off, look down at the bottom and you will see 'Protected Mode: Off'.

I can't find anywhere in the Vista help where it says that turning off UAC will also turn off the Protected Mode. I want to find a setting somewhere, possibly in the registry, that will enable the Protected Mode even if UAC is off.

Has anyone looked at this yet?

So far i've not been sucessful in finding a registry setting to do this but there has to be a way.

Edited by Spooky

Hello Spooky,

I've UAC set to active and protected mode is set to active eather but IE Status bar shows Protected Mode Inactive. So I don't know, if Protected Mode is on, like shown under Security Settings or if it's off like Statusbar shows... :no:

Reading your post, I was thinking if Statusbar might show the wrong status...

This is under Vista RC1 (5600), German.

Martin

Edited by FireGeier

Well, I want to use the 'Protected Mode' without UAC. The prompts drive me crazy. Haven't found a way yet so my short term solution is to keep UAC enabled and supress the prompts. I posted the reg tweaks to disable the prompts while keeping UAC on in the Vista Tweaks and Tips section on the third page in case anyone wants them.