Burning a bootable CD with a Win98 machine

Hey there :hello:

After all this time, I still can't offer any advice to people wanting to build my Windows seven years later project on a Windows 98 machine. It was funny to start with (well i laughed) but now its a bit :wub:

The problem is burning the ISO. This should be sooo easy to fix, but I'm still stumped. :unsure:

I use CDIMAGE.EXE (which is a useful utility by those monopolists over at Microsoft and supposedly for "internal use only" -- i chuckle everytime I read that) which is fine for a WinXP machine.

Someone pointed out an alternative ISO maker for me at this location but it doesn't seem to contain any way to mimic CDIMAGE and point to the LOADER.BIN file. And Nero doesn't seem to be any help.

Any help muchly appreciated. :thumbup

EDIT: more info...

I just used NERO to burn an image that points to one of the 3 boot images in the root of the CD, and this works with the default Boot settings (ie no need to enable advanced settings) so that's at least something.

But I have configured 3 different options in the cdshell.ini file that CDIMAGE.exe uses that I would like to keep... Hmmm, actually I have just thought of a way around this ... but it would still be useful to know a better fix for this.

DOUBLE SECRET PROBATION EDIT: no, i still need those options, otherwise I can't offer the Ultimate Boot Cd option. If anybody knows the movie reference, you are a true geek!!

Edited by soporific

I don't know what loader do you use but Microsoft bootable Windows 98 CD-ROMs contains floppy disk image (1.44 MB) for booting. I have created many bootable Win98 images using both CDIMAGE and Nero where you can just click the FD boot emulation.

If you use different boot image than 1.44 MB FD it should work too.

Petr

I don't know what loader do you use but Microsoft bootable Windows 98 CD-ROMs contains floppy disk image (1.44 MB) for booting. I have created many bootable Win98 images using both CDIMAGE and Nero where you can just click the FD boot emulation.
Thanks for the reply Petr. I've found a way around this using Nero (which uses your suggestion) but it does mean fairly significant changes to the initial boot methods i've employed on the old project. So I can't post a fix advising using Nero because its not compatible with the existing code.

So anyone who can help, help is still needed! Thanks in advance ...

If you use different boot image than 1.44 MB FD it should work too.

I can confirm you can use a 2.88 MB boot image, I needed to because I have gdisk in my boot image.