nVidia SATA refuses to install?

sarlen

I have two unattended windows installations that I'm trying to get working. I've used others before with no problem - but suddenly these aren't working.

After installing windows I get a message saying "Cannot Install this Hardware." for "NVidia NForce4 Parallel ATA Controller." an error occured because "The installation source for this product is not available."

I get the same error for my other SATA controller (both nVidia) and the PATA controller. My RAID controller installs just fine. Windows installs it's own drivers for the ATA devices labeled simply "IDE Controller."

Okay fine, but besides wanting the correct drivers these, Microsoft drivers create a bsod eventually, and everytime I boot it tells me it cannot install the hardware. I've tried updating the driver - it does nothing, stays IDE Controller. If I run the entire NForce4 Chipset package it installs the IDE drivers, then BSODs on the next boot OR will ask for the location of the driver files on every boot. If I point to them, again it "Cannot Install this Hardware."

My unattended installations (trying a Windows XP and Windows 2003 install) both include the nVidia ATA drivers. I've tried taking both installations and integrating via nLite the latest 32-bit SATA_RAID and SATA_IDE drivers per the guides I've read - still same problem. I've tried deleting the old drivers on these cds and having just the new ones - still no good. These controllers work just fine.

I have a DFI LanParty nForce4 SLI-DR Expert. I'm using the latest nLite version. I've tried the latest chipset drivers from the nVidia site, or the preferred drivers from DFI's site.

I've searched and searched for this problem - but most the time the solution is "well did you follow the updated guide closely." I have. This has been probably unnecessarily verbose but I really have tried everything - I'm at the end of my rope and would absolutely adore some help from anyone =(

- Sarlen

Er, I have.

I've tried taking both installations and integrating via nLite the latest 32-bit SATA_RAID and SATA_IDE drivers per the guides I've read - still same problem. I've tried deleting the old drivers on these cds and having just the new ones - still no good.

Okay I have no idea what the problem actually was - or why windows decided to install it's own messed up driver. I fixed it though by using Bashrat's new driver pack to remove the old storage drivers and put in an updated version. Works like a dream now.