Random Reboots on (desktop) Server 2003 R2

dhope

Sorry I took a while to reply. Hope you all had a good Xmas and New Year

So yeah, I'd uninstalled Alcohol, removed Starforce and reinstalled the latest (upgraded) version of Daemon Tools.

Things carried on working fine, then I got curious about Vista, so upgraded once it was released to MSDN.

When I installed it I tried with the 2x1GB matched RAM and it'd never finish the install or reach the desktop - it'd start rebooting during the 'Vista index' thing (where it scores your machine based on the hardware).

After swapping to 2x512MB then the install completed and machine has been solid as a rock.

So after all that I think it was the Shuttle not liking the memory (despite the memory passing all tests I could throw at it). Starforce was probably doing something funky, but Vista with Daemon Tools has just been fine for the last couple of weeks.

Quite nice to get a rating of 3.7 on a system that's running an unsupported nForce2 motherboard.

Anyway, I think things are solved now. Unless I go back to 2003 then hopefully no more problems.

Many many many thanks for all your help, kept me sane knowing that not everyone was as stumped as me ;)