Windows XP home OEM help

marielisa2

>I don't have much of a choice in the matter, as I have no way of knowing Acer's master key.

If you don't have any friends with an Acer laptop or can't spend any time at a local computer store, try doing a Google search of Acer's SLP PID:

0011903-00100

The ones labeled SP1 are correct for SP2 in the US market area.

Edited by severach

The ones labeled SP1 are correct for SP2 in the US market area.
And how does that help me?

I have no use to find out their master key, when I have a valid product key all of my own. Besides, you must have misunderstood me, I bought an ex-lease desktop for $350 with keyboard monitor mouse and xp, not a laptop. nLite is currently compiling an installation, which hopefully will work.

>they both came with windows xp home on them

>I have no use to find out their master key, when I have a valid product key all of my own.

If you want the original Windows that didn't require activation you use the master (SLP) key. Dell shipped legal systems all with that master key having never typed a single COA key and you needn't either unless begging Microsoft for an activation code sounds like fun.

>Besides, you must have misunderstood me, I bought an ex-lease desktop for $350 with keyboard monitor mouse and xp, not a laptop. nLite is currently compiling an installation, which hopefully will work.

If that desktop still has it's Dell issued COA on the side the technique in that thread is the best way to make the disk. If they cut the key off to pawn it on eBay or found some way to buy a Dell without a Dell COA sticker then the technique will still work, it just won't be legal. If you don't have a running system from which to build the disk, you have the key and the OEMBIOS files are easy to obtain.

If that desktop still has it's Dell issued COA on the side the technique in that thread is the best way to make the disk. If they cut the key off to pawn it on eBay or found some way to buy a Dell without a Dell COA sticker then the technique will still work, it just won't be legal.
It's ACER, not DELL. And it's ex-lease, the company who sold it aren't stupid enough to let their CD Keys get leaked. I may try using a master key, but if it's more work then simply calling MS it begs the question - why?

It's ACER, not DELL. And it's ex-lease, the company who sold it aren't stupid enough to let their CD Keys get leaked. I may try using a master key, but if it's more work then simply calling MS it begs the question - why?

Word: I install big name systems without activating all the time and you don't do it at all. Keep that in mind when arguing with my advice.

The COA on the case isn't theirs after they sell it. The Royalty SLP Key isn't theirs either. If they had a VLK key that was theirs it would have been wiped or they are really dumb. With all the 1337 haxors and their Keyfinders, I'd never lease a system with a VLK key though I've seen it done. I would specifically buy big name systems for the express purpose that they contain a perfectly legal key that does noone any good to steal.

The brand name doesn't matter. All the big brands work the same way. Typically the seller would leave the COA on to maintain resale value otherwise it's a trip to the Office store to buy Windows. If they were kind, they would do the original factory restore before selling it. If not, you can build a clean preactivated install CD from resources on the web.

>I may try using a master key, but if it's more work then simply calling MS it begs the question - why?

If this is the XP last install you're ever going to do then the call is plenty easy. If on the other hand, you plan on installing XP as often as the rest of us, calling Microsoft 5, 50, or 500 times per year gets old fast. I ain't too proud to not beg.

>I may try using a master key

The System Lock Preinstall key (aka master key) requires an OEM copy of Windows and the proper set of OEMBIOS files for your system all put together and burned to a CD. It's all or nothing! You make the call!

The System Lock Preinstall key (aka master key) requires an OEM copy of Windows and the proper set of OEMBIOS files for your system all put together and burned to a CD. It's all or nothing! You make the call!
Yes it does, yet you said:
If you don't have a running system from which to build the disk, you have the key and the OEMBIOS files are easy to obtain.
...No they're not. I've activated my Windows installation now, by manually calling MS. As I said I didn't have much choice in the matter, and I'm not prepared to waste more time then it's worth.

But here, let me prove your point, the system is a:

Acer Veriton 5600G

That is what is printed on the case, that is what is displayed when using the VBScript found here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=71016

So here's your chance to back-up your rather unintelligent remark that the OEMBIOS files for my machine are easy to obtain - as you're obviously a PC technician, and "know what you're talking about" you won't mind finding the OEMBIOS files and posting them back here. If you can't do that, I think it proves your advice was simply poor advice to begin with.

Edited by Plamdi

>I'm not prepared to waste more time then it's worth

It sounds like reading long threads and building a CD is a waste of time for you which suggests that there's little reason to continue.

>Acer Veriton 5600G

Google searching shows that this system ships with Windows XP Pro preinstalled. Acer's XP Pro key starts with BW2VG.

Since it's not an Acer TravelMate decended from the old TI line the most likely OEMBIOS set is 717B6EF3. Thread 71016 has instructions for using DEBUG to improve certainty that 717B6EF3 is the correct set.

http://rapidshare.de/users/LWN7M8

The above is for curiosity. The following requires some file handling and CD creation skills similar to slipstreaming.

Copy an XP Pro OEM Single User License CD to the hard disk.

Run the script to generate a WINNT.SIF and sub in the key above since your current system probably has the side of case key which won't preactivate. Copy the script into the I386 folder.

Overwrite the 4 OEMBIOS files in the I386 folder with the ones from Rapidshare.

Write a new CD with the XP boot image.

If you have to ask... let's just agree that calling Microsoft is easier.

I am in a similar problem with a Dell PC, CoA, but no CD. When I rang up Microsoft last week, the guy actually told me I could get a 'backup copy' from somewhere else, since I have a legitimate licensed copy of XP, just no media.

Otherwise, if I want to purchase an authentic CD, there is a cheaper option than buying a another full or oem copy of XP. If I can prove that I had an legitimate license (eg on invoice, CoA, etc), then I can pay $42 to MS and they will send me a new CD and new license key. This is cheaper since OEM XP costs about $120 in Australia.

I will say that at first MS tried to pass the buck to Dell, but I just said that Dell wouldn't/couldn't give me a replacement CD (which was true), and so what was my option with Microsoft.

I thought I would post this for the original thread starter, since they didn't seem to know about official MS media replacement as an option...