small problems with xp....

rudan01

i have a few small problems running windows xp. i just installed professional.

i set the speaker icon to display next to my clock so i can easily adjust the speaker volume but every time i reboot my computer it doesn't load back up there, then i have to set it to display there again. why can't it remember that i had it there when i shut off the computer then put it back when i turn it on again?

i have aol plus (dsl) and like 5 times a day it gets disconnected and says "network cable unplugged". i never had this problem before, i did have xp before but just did a clean reboot because i upgraded my mb,cpu, and memory. its very annoying! lol

what do you guys think?

AOL DSL havent a clue. Dont know what software they give you and havent heard of any promblems. Now you sound control icon....Did you install any software for your sound card? What type of soundcard so you have?

-XPerties

XP is a forgetful OS, it forgets your folder settings (the view as - thumbnail, line, detail, large, small) it forgets your zonealarm settings, it forgets the newest Norton Antivirus definitions installed (if you rebooted straight away after updating). Its probably a bug and I bet MS don't do nothing about it cos they don't care.

The only way to prevent programs from forgetting settings is to keep the OS uptime for 2-3 days and it will remember eventually.

Running Windows XP Pro, newly installed as I re-built this computer last week. In "Sounds" I have it set to play a .wav file (SB Live, ctmelody.wav) on start up. No matter how many times I set it, it does not work... It used to work with my old setup when the welcome screen came up. Does this have anything to do with the faster processor (AMD Athlon XP 1500+, versus k6-2 400) Only other differences are RAM, now 256DDR, versus 256 PC100 SDRAM, and mobo's, now ECS K7S5A versus Soyo 5EMA+....

[b:26a3ac6382]jrichard326[/b:26a3ac6382] - are you refering to the auhdioHQ that gives the splash screen for creative software? If so have you updated the software and downloaded the latest from creative? Your hardware wouldnt have anything to do with that.

-XPerties

xperties: I do not have Creative's software package installed. I disliked it and it took up too much space. I just am using teir .wav file as my startup sound. At least, I am trying to.... My drivers are current from Windows XP Update. It was a recommended update.

MS Driver 5.1.2602.0 dated 11/1/2001

emu10k Creative SB Live! (WDM) and emu10k1 according to system info.... It is just a very minor annoyance, otherwise I have it all working fine.

Thanks all for responding. I went to Creative website and downloaded the latest Creative Software package. Since I did not want their softeware on my computer, I extracted just the drivers with WinRAR. I installed the latest drivers and it did not fix the problem. I tried LS_dragons' fix, that's a good one, but it did not work... Then, I did some all out searching and in another forum I found the fix.... I almost don't believe it. Apparently, I was messing with Tweak UI recently. Under the General Tab, the box "Beep on Errors" must be CHECKED!!!! I checked the box and it works now.... boy was this whole episode frustrating!

I was messing with Tweak UI recently. Under the General Tab, the box "Beep on Errors" must be CHECKED!!!! I checked the box and it works now.... boy was this whole episode frustrating![/quote:a0ea526076]

[b:a0ea526076]Hee hee...[/color:a0ea526076][/b:a0ea526076]

I guess that I'm [b:a0ea526076]not[/b:a0ea526076] [u:a0ea526076]the only[/u:a0ea526076] person that these kinda

nightmares happen to!

Glad you got it sorted out... :cool:

Cheers..

JP