I probably won't install the cumulative patch for

Marztabator

...I've read that it can prevent the registry trick to make proper compatiblity with Netscape-style plugins (like the C64 SID plugins or the MOD plugin) from working.

The patch may fix a lot of stuff but this problem makes it kind of a slight downgrade to me. What do you lot think of the matter?

*sigh*

Tried it yesterday, and it appears my fears are confirmed :).... the patch stops IE from reading the extra additions like audio/prs.sid and audio/x-mod properly in [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type]. They are pointed to CLSID (REG_SZ) = {06DD38D3-D187-11CF-A80D-00C04FD74AD8}. Without the patch this would make IE play Netscape-style plugins flawlessly, but no more.

Without the August cumulative update, a serious hole can be exploited in IE:

http://www.phaez.net/test/

Warning: Unpatched systems will be rebooted by the script executed to show how serious this flaw is.

Well, I saw the message provided from opening that link, but nothing else actually happened.

Maybe it's because I share a broadband connection with my sister (our computers are connected to each other technically), who appears to use a hardware firewall of sorts?

I came across this a couple of days back - is this what you were talking about Aaron?

• 2 weeks later...