RunOnceEx from CD/DVD with an INF

kof94

This has been doing my head in for the last few days :wacko: !

I know I can do this with XP but I want to deploy the same idea with 98SE and ME.

I'm running setup from hard disc but I want to run a couple of updates via RunOnceEx from the original source disc (my multiboot disc) during the final stages.

I've managed to get RunOnceEx to run when I want it to by tacking my settings on the end of msbatch.inf.

My only problem is it never finds the disc, only the hard disc setup dir (C:\win98 or C:\win9x).

I know that the SourceDisksNames section differs betwean 9x and NT OS's (and more so with XP) because as far as I can see 9x OS's don't use a tag file, just the disc label as ref.

Heres a snip from my msbatch.inf for ME:

[Install]
AddReg=ROEx

[SourceDisksNames]
1="AIO",AIO,,

;1=disk name (disc label in xp),disk label (tag file in xp),(unused in xp),path

[ROEx]
HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%",,0x00000012
HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%",Title,0x00000000,"Windows Update"
HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%",Flags,0x00010001,0x00000020
HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\ROEx1",,,"Unofficial Service Pack 2.0.2"
HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\ROEx1",1,,"%1%\ROEx\MEsp202.exe /q"
HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\ROEx2",,,"DirectX 9c"
HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\ROEx2",1,,"%1%\ROEx\DX9c.exe"
HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\ROEx3",,,"Windows Media Player 9"
HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\ROEx3",1,,"%1%\ROEx\WMP9.exe"
HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\ROEx4",,,"Internet Explorer 6 SP1"
HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\ROEx4",1,,"%1%\ROEx\IE6.exe"

[strings]
RunOnceEx = "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx"

So my question is, has anyone managed to get this to work under 9x or should I just forget it?

Thanks.

Edited by kof94

This has been doing my head in for the last few days :wacko: !

I know I can do this with XP but I want to deploy the same idea with 98SE and ME.

I'm running setup from hard disc but I want to run a couple of updates via RunOnceEx from the original source disc (my multiboot disc) during the final stages.

I've managed to get RunOnceEx to run when I want it to by tacking my settings on the end of msbatch.inf.

My only problem is it never finds the disc, only the hard disc setup dir (C:\win98 or C:\win9x).

Yep, you'll be having problems. Im still not entirely sure why this happens, but I had to base the entire install process for the Windows 98 seven years later project around this obstacle. Not until Windows 98 boots for the first time will it be able to find any CD drive. Which is pretty stupid considering you can use a CD to install the operating system. The problem lies in the fact that the contents of the boot image of the CD get assigned to drive A (a relic of the old days of Win 3.1) and the OS basically thinks the drive is in use and won't look at the contents so you can't use any files on the CD until after setup finishes.

TO get around this: don't run anything to do with finding a cd drive in msbatch.inf, just run set RunOnce command in the registry (can't use RunOnceEx this is still too early) that will launch on first boot and NOW you can re-start you installation setup process.

The other way to get around this is to not use the CD to install, but copy to the hard drive first. You already knew this but I'm telling you this so you can stop doing your head in :)

Edited by soporific

LDID %1% does not work correctly after reboot because the CD-ROM drive is assigned a different letter.

This is one of my INFs that works correctly for RunOnceEX under WIN98SE.

It should work correctly, too, under WINME and WINXP.

[Version]

Signature = $CHICAGO$

[DefaultInstall]

AddReg = AddReg.Progs

[AddReg.Progs]

HKLM,%ROEX%,"TITLE",,"Hi Bingo!"

HKLM,%ROEX%\001,,,"BurstCopy 2.700 Build 6921"

HKLM,%ROEX%\001,"BurstCopy 2.700 Build 6921",,%CDROM%\Install"\BrstCopy\BrstCopy.exe /VERYSILENT /NORESTART"

HKLM,%ROEX%\002,,,"BurstCopy Reg and Tweaks"

HKLM,%ROEX%\002,"BurstCopy Reg and Tweaks",,"%25%\regedit.exe /s "%CDROM%\Install\BrstCopy\BrstCopy.reg""

HKLM,%ROEX%\003,,,"NetFrameWork 1 Sp1"

HKLM,%ROEX%\003,"NetFrameWork 1 Sp1",,%CDROM%\Install"\NETFX\NETFX.exe"

HKLM,%ROEX%\004,,,"Winamp 5.03a"

HKLM,%ROEX%\004,"Winamp 5.03a",,%CDROM%\Install"\Winamp\Winamp.msi /qn"

HKLM,%ROEX%\005,,,"Adobe Reader 6.0"

HKLM,%ROEX%\005,"Adobe Reader 6.0",,%CDROM%\Install"\AR6\AR6.exe"

HKLM,%ROEX%\006,,,"Fast Folders 3.0"

HKLM,%ROEX%\006,"Fast Folders 3.0",,%CDROM%\Install"\FastFold\FF30.msi /qn"

HKLM,%ROEX%\007,,,"ACDSee 7.0 PowerPack"

HKLM,%ROEX%\007,"ACDSee 7.0 PowerPack",,%CDROM%\Install"\ACD747PP\ACDSee.msi /qn ADDLOCAL=ACDSee,ImageEncodingDecodingPlugIns,ACDPhotoEditor,CommandExtensionPlugIns,FotoSlate,PaneEx

tension REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS"

HKLM,%ROEX%\008,,,"ACDSee 7.0 PowerPack Tweaks"

HKLM,%ROEX%\008,"ACDSee 7.0 PowerPack Tweaks",,"rundll32.exe setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 "%CDROM%\Install\ACD747PP\ACDReg.inf""

HKLM,%ROEX%\009,,,"ACDSee 7.0 PowerPack Update 47"

HKLM,%ROEX%\009,"ACDSee 7.0 PowerPack Update 47",,%CDROM%\Install"\ACD747PP\Update47.msp /qb REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS"

HKLM,%ROEX%\010,,,"ACDSee 7.0 PowerPack Media Support 1.0"

HKLM,%ROEX%\010,"ACDSee 7.0 PowerPack Media Support 1.0",,%CDROM%\Install"\ACD747PP\ACDMS10.msi /qn REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS"

HKLM,%ROEX%\011,,,"QuickTime 6.5"

HKLM,%ROEX%\011,"QuickTime 6.5",,%CDROM%\Install"\QTime\setup.exe"

HKLM,%ROEX%\012,,,"Flash 10 ShockWave 7"

HKLM,%ROEX%\012,"Flash 10 ShockWave 7",,%CDROM%\Install"\FL10SW7\FLSW.msi /qn"

HKLM,%ROEX%\013,,,"QuickTime 6.5 Tweaks"

HKLM,%ROEX%\013,"QuickTime 6.5 Tweaks",,"rundll32.exe setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 "%CDROM%\Install\QTime\QTime.inf""

HKLM,%ROEX%\014,,,"Windows Media Player 9"

HKLM,%ROEX%\014,"Windows Media Player 9",,"%CDROM%\Install\WMP9\WMP9.exe /Q:A /R:N /C:""setup_wm.exe /Q:A /R:N"""

HKLM,%ROEX%\015,,,"MSN Messenger 7.0"

HKLM,%ROEX%\015,"MSN Messenger 7.0",,%CDROM%\Install"\MSN70\MSN70.msi /qn"

HKLM,%ROEX%\016,,,"MSN Messenger 7.0 Tweaks"

HKLM,%ROEX%\016,"MSN Messenger 7.0 Tweaks",,"%25%\regedit.exe /s "%CDROM%\Install\MSN70\MSN70.reg""

HKLM,%ROEX%\017,,,"Windows Media Player 9 Updated 10a"

HKLM,%ROEX%\017,"Windows Media Player 9 Updated 10a",,"%CDROM%\Install\WMP9\98WMP10a.exe"

HKLM,%ROEX%\018,,,"Windows Media Player 9 Updated 10b"

HKLM,%ROEX%\018,"Windows Media Player 9 Updated 10b",,"%CDROM%\Install\WMP9\98WMP10b.exe"

HKLM,%ROEX%\019,,,"TWEAKUI 1.33"

HKLM,%ROEX%\019,"TWEAKUI 1.33",,"rundll32.exe setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 "%CDROM%\Install\TWEAKUI\TWEAKUI.inf""

HKLM,%ROEX%\020,,,"5-Second Pause"

HKLM,%ROEX%\020,"5-Second Pause",,"PING 1.1.1.1 -n 1 -w 5000 >NUL"

HKLM,%ROEX%\021,,,"Reboot 4"

HKLM,%ROEX%\021,"Reboot 4",,"Rundll32.exe shell32.dll,SHExitWindowsEx 2"

[sTRINGS]

ROEX="Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEX"

CDROM=I:

CDROM=I: is appended to this INF with the help of a batch file that scans for the CD-ROM drive letter.

Edited by mazin

Thanks guys.

@soporific

To be fair I've been nickin bits from your seven years later project to use for my own ends.

The other way to get around this is to not use the CD to install, but copy to the hard drive first. You already knew this but I'm telling you this so you can stop doing your head in smile.gif

I think your right and for now I'll just make my life easier and copy the updates to hdd and run them from there.

Some times I just create ways to be difficult :lol: .

Thanks again.

To be fair I've been nickin bits from your seven years later project to use for my own ends.

When I first posted the code for my project many many moons ago, ie in the before time, it really was just a combination of all the tips and projects that were up and running on msfn.org --- in fact the main reason i originally posted was to give something back to this board. So be my guest and take anything and everything from the info people have posted!!