Driver woes... slowly working through it...

_jd_

I'm working on adding support for the HP nc6320 to my unattended installs and images and it's presenting quite a challenge.

Initally, the machine wouldn't boot with any of my earlier installs/images due to the SATA controller and that it was running in "native" mode. I resolved this by adding the Intel Storage Matrix drivers to TXTSETUP.SIF (put iastor.sys in \i386), as OEM drivers and to the [sysprepMassStorage] section of sysprep.inf. I've since moved on to the remaining drivers and believe I have accounted for each device... ~230MB worth. Hopefully I can slim that down a bit. :) If not, this single notebook will have doubled the size of my driver store... which was previously supporting 11 desktops and 1 notebook.

I'm still having some issues with a few drivers... Bluetooth, HP's Quick Launch buttons and, believe it or not, the integrated Intel 945GM graphics (GMA950). I think i've sorted out the bluetooth/button drivers by adding "UpdateInstalledDrivers=Yes" to sysprep.inf ("DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore" is already there). I didn't have to do this with XP SP1, but this new install/image is based on XP SP2...

I'm still having issues with the graphics drivers tho. Prior to installation, the 945GM graphics is represented by two entries in Device Manager named "Video Controller" and "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)". Only the first is being installed during mini-setup as "Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family" even tho I can install the second device manually after imaging and all of the driver files loaded are signed. Odd.

Anyway, i'm dumping an image right now with the difference of having called sysprep with the -pnp switch... we'll see what that does.

Well, with both "UpdateInstalledDrivers=Yes" and calling sysprep with -pnp, the Intel 945GM is installing without issue. I'm still seeing device related prompts during mini-setup tho and it appears to be the display...

Any thoughts?

And the supporting driver has been referenced from the OEMPnPDriversPath entry correctly? Can u verify that the directory that contains the driver once the installation is done contains a INFCACHE.1 file.. meaning the directory has been added to the DevicePath key?

No matching INF's in C:\WINDOWS\inf. I can't comment on creation of INFCACHE.1 in the driver directory as i'm populating the driver search path via registry...

The system is a notebook with integrated GMA950 and the display adapter presents as two devices in device manager:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27A2\SUBSYS_30AA103C&REV_03\3&B1BFB68&0&10

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27A6\SUBSYS_30AA103C&REV_03\3&B1BFB68&0&11

After cloning, the second device installs without issue under "Display adapters"as "Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Set". The first device remains as "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)"... installing the device manually installs it the same as the second device. Both devices are using signed drivers obtained from Intel.

Oddly enough, if I call sysprep with -pnp then both devices install without issue. So, i'm going to assume it's some sort of enumeration problem... not that I can explain it.