Quote marks

Just a question using quotation marks. As I'm working my through the unattended process I've noticed that instances occur where in the Unattended guide quotes are used for some items when setting up the winnt.sif file but in the ref.chm where further information is provided about an action and examples are given quotation marks are ommitted.

Which should take precedence? Have folks who created the guide made corrections thae Microsoft has just not updated in the ref.ehm?

Thanks!

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that when Windows parses the file, it may not object to finding quotes around certain things where they aren't required. However, I've stuck with the examples from the Ref.chm file and not had any problems. Here is any example of what my WinNT.sif file looks like:

[Branding]
BrandIEUsingUnattended=Yes

[Data]
AutomaticUpdates=Yes
AutoPartition=1
MsDosInitiated=0
UnattendedInstall=Yes

[GuiUnattended]
AdminPassword=xxxxxxxx
AutoLogon=Yes
OEMSkipRegional=1
OemSkipWelcome=1
TimeZone=20

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[Proxy]
HTTP_Proxy_Server=localhost:8080
Proxy_Enable=1
Proxy_Override=localhost
Use_Same_Proxy=1

[Unattended]
DisableDynamicUpdates=No
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
OemPreinstall=Yes
OemSkipEula=Yes
Repartition=Yes
TargetPath=\WINDOWS
UnattendMode=FullUnattended
UnattendSwitch=Yes
WaitForReboot=No

[UserData]
ProductID=xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
FullName="John Doe"
OrgName="ACME Corporation"
ComputerName=ACME1

As you can see, the only place where I used quotes was the UserData section and only because I was using a string with white space in it. I think it's one of those things that, if it works and you like it like that way, go with it. :P

I did some testing with putting white space around the "=" and quotes around different things and I can't tell that it made any difference. It appears that the parser is (surprisingly) able to handle it either way.

Sorry for not getting back to you folks sooner, in the process of changing jobs. Anyway, thanks for the input. Knowing your experience saves un-needed possible troubleshooting later on.

Again, thanks!