Confused with the methods of Application Installations

ashrafzia

I have been successful in creating the fully automated unattended windows xp (professional). Now i want that my favourite applications like Microsoft Office 2003, Windows Media Player 10 etc should also get installed. I have read the pdf (MSFNUnattended) file and it has explained different methods like GUIRunOnce, WPI, XPLODE etc but haven't explained them thoroughly or i am so much confused.

I have tried GuiRunOnce method but my applications are not going to be installed, when the setup completes. And the error it gaves me is this Cannot find c:\install\Applications\fdm\fdminst.exe, for all the applications that are listed in the start.cmd file.

I have used %systemdrive% variable in start.cmd

Plz Help me to follow which one is the simplest among GUIRunOnce, WPI, etc for installing the applications.

I would be very pleased if you help me in the following way:

Step 1: Do this

Step 2: Do this

Step 3: ......

Hope to hear!

Hi, it`s difficult to explain it completely here. I`m also newbie in this stuff ( 3-4 weeks), pdf is little bit outdated but in general it`s a very good guide for start. Yes, you might be confused as some steps in pdf might seems missing so you have to try yorself these "missing" steps.

I suggest you to read it again and try each method again even if you already did it, it will help you to understand better. Don`t skip steps - I think repating already done steps is very important for your future work. Some of steps may seems very easy but repeat them. You must get familiar with it.

I prefer RunOnceEx instead of GuiRunOnce as it looks much professional. I don`t understand to a lot of things yet but I was successfull with my UA XPCD which also instals Adobe Reader Lite, Power DVD7 deluxe,Net Framework 1.1 all in, Java Runtime 1508. I`m now going to add NOD32 which, I think, will be more difficult.

If you want to, you can start with Office XP, I made a step by step guide because I managed it to work but it was not that easy as I thought when I started....

you don`t need to read all 40 pages, just read the very last post (#595)

Office XP shrink guide

Read the unattended guide!

Don't think you know everything whats in the guide after you read it once... read it at least 8 times... even if you think you know the Beginner part, read it again.

I mean the Unattended guide... not the pdf file mention.

For Office the Shrink guide is OK, just google to read how to integrate SP2 in Office2003 because SP2 wasnt out yet when the guide was written.

Well! 1st of all Thanx for reply.

Actually there are too many different methods for the application installation and i have checked few of them bcoz its difficult to understand all of them in one go. And i am constantly failing in each and every method, so just rising at the peak of frustration :no: . Now i just wanna stick with one method but when i reach to some extent and cannot go forward i leave that method. Major problem of my failure.

Anyway i will try try again.

Well! 1st of all Thanx for reply.

Actually there are too many different methods for the application installation and i have checked few of them bcoz its difficult to understand all of them in one go. And i am constantly failing in each and every method, so just rising at the peak of frustration :no: . Now i just wanna stick with one method but when i reach to some extent and cannot go forward i leave that method. Major problem of my failure.

Anyway i will try try again.

Believe me, it`s not that difficult as it seems. Just read it again and again and play with batch commands, etc. Believe, english language is not my native language and I don`t speak it well but if I understood to guide(s) you should also. Don`t give up when failing once.

Thanx for the support. English is also not my native language too :).

At last i see a little light, i am not fully succeeded but enough for the time. Windowsxp get installed and i have no error at this time, but the applications are still not installed and theres a folder named install in my c: drive and inside it is the start.cmd file, when i click it the programmes that i have included in it to be installed are : free download manager, royale theme and WMPlayer 10. First programme (fdm) get installed without any interruption, 2nd one also gets install well but ask for the confirmation as we set our theme on the desktop and click the OK button after the PREVIEW button. 3rd Programme i-e WMPLAYER 10 doesn't work and says to use a proper switch and type /? for help. Now i dont understand this. How can i fix this ?