WDS Issues

Well i've just upgraded my RIS server to WDS from the BDD 2007 Beta, One of my computers works fine with both the RIS and WDS, my newer computer won't boot the WinPE image(boot image for WDS), it loads the TXT loading bar, but will not fully load the graphical loading bar page(similar to xp boot screen), but that gets me is the fact that the older computer works fine, but my new one won't

any suggestions?

old computer - works

PIII 1 GHz

512 MB RAM

booting off PXE with Realtek 8139(PXEboots RIS fine)

40 GB HDD

New computer - won't work

PIIIm 1.2 GHz

640 MB RAM

booting off PXE with 3Com 3c920(pxeboots RIS fine)

30 GB HDD

Thanks in Advance

Hi!

If using the same boot image for the two machines and 1 is working while other is not, I would say it is drivers...

The loader (white loader bar) is using UNDI so that will prolly work with all machines when booting them. U can try to take the same .wim and burn onto a CD/DVD and boot from that one and check if u can detect a NIC and everything else.. also try to use the physical NIC of the none working machine model when running for example VM-Ware on it or VPC. That way u will know if there is for example anything wrong with the NIC driver...

I tried adding the nic drivers from the machine that wasn't working(i only had the xp drivers) and when i use vpc thru that nic it works fine. when i load it in safe mode it loads everything in that list that the working machine does(last item on list is disk.sys(i believe its sys) on both so im not sure what to try next.

Just load diskpart from the command prompt and check wheather u have access to the local disk... personally, I have only seen it failing on some RAID/SATA/SCSI devices, no ATA...

Are u using the boot.wim from the Vista DVD as the boot OS within WDS? Have not tried that version u r refering to but the earlier ones, required u to use that boot.wim from the CD to get the WDS client working...

Yupp, thats the one... if using another .wim for the boot OS within WDS, the WDS client software will not be working (I guess it is included within that specific boot.wim)!

Once u have added that boot.wim to your boot OS category, add atleast one install OS within ur WDS UI and it will turn up in the WDS client software once the WinPE has been fully loaded...

• 2 weeks later...