IRQ conflict or something else?

The Jeep

I have just been rebuilding my trusty old Asus A7V133/Athlon 1.2 PC which was originally designed to run Matrox RT2500 / Adobe Premier video system. OS is Windows 2000 SP4.

This time round I am using onboard sound (AC97 - as opposed to separate sound card) and a WinTV card. I am still using additional 2 drives on separate Promise IDE controller. Actually, I've added a 3rd drive to the secondary Promise IDE, giving me a total of 4 drives plus 1 DVD. PSU is...can't remember, but possibly 300W.

However, after having the whole system running nicely for a day or two, it now completely crashes when I run Premier. I had a look at the IRQs and discovered an AWFUL lot of stuff sharing IRQ 9, though no conflicts are reported. IRQs 5,7,10 & 11 are unused.

I'm thinking that I could allocate the AC97 audio codec to IRQ 5 and stick the G450 graphics card, Promise & Firewire controllers elsewhere and this might ease the situation, or could it be a PSU problem?

How can I manually change IRQs without having to reinstall the hardware? (when I go into device manager / resources, the box to allow me to change settings is greyed out).

You can't change irq manually. First go into the bios and try different settings:

- Check is you set pnp OS :Yes or No. I onyl use Yes for XP and 2003.

- Disable allocate irq to vga ( should be needed ) Most graphics can work very well without an irq.

If those settings doesn't solve the problems, try to change cards in the pci slots. Usually, some pci slot share the same irq. You should have a schema in the MB manual.

Thanks for that. I've heard elsewhere that Win 2K sorts out its own IRQs (?). I have nine (!) items sharing IRQ9 with nothing on 4 others. However, I think now that this is OK and the problem lies elsewhere (cpu/psu), although my machine is behaving itself just now. I might look into it further later, but right now I've had enough of putting cards in & out!

I guess I may have had PnP switched on in the BIOS when I reinstalled everything last week. Oh well, maybe my PC (i.e. Microsoft) knows best...

2000 install with ACPI will allocate the IRQs for itself, if you want the ability to change the IRQs manually you would need to install windows 2000 with ACPI, sadly i tried finding a way to do this but all the links i found where dead