Windows version identifier...

PacificAK

hey all,

me installed a Win2K3 server converted to workstaton on my old system.. & suddenly it has put back life into it :D:lol:

but theres one problem...

since installing it i have removed access to my main system for everone else in the family...

& now my sis wants to install the Sony Ericsson PC Suite on Win2K3 box.. which obviuosly will not install as its designed for WinXP SP2...

so heres my question...

can the version identifier of the Win2K3 server be changed to WinXP_blah_blah_SP2_Blah_Blah...???

please somebody help me...!! :)

thnx in advance...!!

That's what happens when people try to use server OS'es for a desktop (with no real reason - it's no faster than XP really). Lots of software won't run on it. Anyway.

There's a few things one can do:

-try running in compatibility mode (will fake "Win XP" version, but NOT the service pack, so likely won't install)

-patching installers manually, which will force to install, but the app might still not work (which I've seen many many times - like say Avid Xpress) as it's not meant to run on that OS/requires XP SP2 specific stuff (or one of its components/dependancies does) or such.

thnx for the all the help so far...!!

editied the MSIs with Orca.. the app installed just fine & it works even finer...!! :)

btw.. me using Win2K3 eXperience edition & i can vouch for its better performance on the old box (a p3 1gig proc, 512ram) compared to XP SP2 stripped down versions...

just google for TweakNT, this program can do some magic for you ;)

yup.. had exactly found tht software... but it does not work on win2k3 VLK... :angry: had to reinstall the OS after running it... :no:

Edited by PacificAK