MS06-051 cause problem with windows 2k server

weiyann83

What SNMP software is installed? There are some issues with older HP and IBM software containing SNMP components and some of the recent Windows updates - if you are running any software such as this, it'll have to be updated to work properly with the changes the new updates from Microsoft bring about.

What SNMP software is installed? There are some issues with older HP and IBM software containing SNMP components and some of the recent Windows updates - if you are running any software such as this, it'll have to be updated to work properly with the changes the new updates from Microsoft bring about.

1. that is not a software.

2. is microsoft service add-ons, snmp service.

The Microsoft SNMP service is simply a provider - you must have some 3rd party SNMP agents which use the provider and are creating all the CPU time.

I assume you mean that "snmp.exe" is the consumer of all the CPU time?

Get Process Explorer:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

Find the process using all the CPU time and double-click it, then go to the Threads tab (note this can take a while to appear, this is normal).

The CPU usage per thread is displayed, there will most likely be 1 or 2 threads using the majority - double-click one with high CPU usage and view the stack.

Click the Copy button and paste the stack here.

Mr Snrub is correct - and I'm aware it's a Microsoft service, I work for them. However, just like dllhost.exe, it's simply a container that can run 3rd party code in a service context - therefore, it's likely you have software installed using the SNMP provider in the OS, and that is what is causing the problem (and as the design of the service is such, it looks to the uninitiated that the service is causing it, which is not correct).