Changing the Sysprep.inf after image

Hi.

I've taken an image of a PC load after running sysprep on a Windows XP SP2 Machine.

Our imaging tool has an image explorer which enables us to alter the contents of an image once stored, including the sysprep.inf file.

Would changes made to the sysprep file in the image explorer have an affect on the sealed windows system, or does the sysprep info get stored elsewhere?

Neil.

Hi!

I personally have changed settings to the sysprep.inf after an image has been created with no problems, but my guess is that it would depend on what settings u wanna change...

I just added new directories to be scanned when running mini setup (OEMPnPDriversPath) with no apparent issues..

Well the changes I made worked... but I can't get the network card settings to fully complete..

Under the DNS settings for TCPIP on the network adapter, I can't get sysprep to fill in the DNS Suffix for this connection

My TCP section in the sysprep.inf is as follows:

[NetProtocols]

MS_TCPIP=params.MS_TCPIP

[params.MS_TCPIP]

DNS=Yes

DNSSuffixSearchOrder = xxxx.ac.uk

UseDomainNameDevolution=No

EnableLMHosts=Yes

AdapterSections=params.MS_TCPIP.Adapter1

[params.MS_TCPIP.Adapter1]

SpecificTo=Adapter1

DHCP=Yes

DNSDomain=xxx.ac.uk

DNSServerSearchOrder=dns1,dns2

WINS=Yes

WINSServerList=xxx,xxx

NetBIOSOptions=0

The item in bold on the Adapter settings is what I'm assuming is correct to fill the DNS Suffix for this connection section in. Am I correct in my assumption?

Neil.

Edited by mcslemon

Reading from the deploy.chm file, they use the same entry as for setting the domain suffix as u do...

Only diffrence from what I can tell, is that they have the [params.MS_TCPIP.Adapter1] with a 0 in front of. I dunno if that makes a diffrence, also they specify the same entry (DNSDomain) up in the [params.MS_TCPIP] section as well...

In case it doesn't work out, I think u can specify the same setting using the netsh.exe command which is scriptable as well for u during installation.

You could also remove the sysprep.inf from the image, put the file into a floppy image and/or floppy disk after it is modified the way you want and saved, then attach or place in drive when mini-setup runs.

Thats the way I do it and it works great. Very flexible. No issues such as those you face.