Some general questions

Hi @all!

I'm new to this forum, so first a big "Hello!"

Browsing through the threads there are still some questions left for my problem:

I work for a bigger company and we often have to setup new pcs. That is why I thought an unattended setup might be useful.

It seems to me there are some gaps for us.

1. I wanted to make a CD (-Set) for a complete basic setup (like Windows XP, Office XP, Lotus Notes etc.). The problem is that we don't use corporate editions.

The question is: is the XP CD locked to it's special key or can I install from one CD to several machines changing only the key? We purchase a lota notebooks so it's stupid to take the corporate edition and buying a new professional licence with each machine (it's hard to get a notebook without a license...).

2. Can I add a domain-user or -group to the local admin group automatically?

I think that's it for now, maybe there'll be more probs further on!

Sorry if my English isn't that well... :)

Hi!

Thx for that quick answer

But won't I get in trouble with activating and stuff, I mean, isn't the product key locked to the CD?

If I try to install several machines from only one CD using different keys, won't it say that the key was wrong? Or is it just a checksum thing?

Thx again!

Hey man, weird that nobody pointed you to the topic that was pretty big last week. From what I heard, you are wanting to automatically create a user?

Look in the autologin topic. There are the specific directions, but here is a recap, from what I can remember (too tired :rolleyes: )

create a cmdlines.txt file and place it in your $OEM$ folder. Inside the cmdlines file, copy and paste the following:

cmdlines.txt

[COMMANDS]
".\user.CMD"

Yes, you need the quotes, and the .\ the user portion can be anything you want. Then create a users.cmd file and place it in your $OEM$ folder along with the cmdlines.txt. In your users.cmd file, copy and paste the following:

user.cmd

CLS
@ECHO OFF
ECHO.
ECHO Creating user: Joe
ECHO Please Wait...
net user Joe /add
net localgroup administrators Joe /add
ECHO
EXIT

This will make a user called "Joe" (without the quotes) and will add him to the Administrators group.

You can of course change "Joe" to anything you want. If you have a space in the name, make sure that you DO use quotes.

Basically, your cd will copy over your files, create the user Joe, log into that account instead of the default administrator account, then continue to run your batch files. You only need those two files, nothing else, for it will autodetect (if that's the right word :) ) them and run them. I hope this helps, have a great night

Hi!

Thx so far! That "net localgroup administrators Joe /add" was (almost) what I was looking for....

How do I tell Windows to log on automatically with a domain account? We create a user on server and log onto a domain, so ....

On your XP cd under support/ tools . there is a utility called Sysprep. If you run it, the following boot will require the user to enter in account name and Key code.

This app is commenly used to "reseal" computers. From a factory setting.

That way you can use any key code you wish, and have the user activate with their personal one.

|Drew|

Thx for all your help!

Got everything...

1: Domain usergroups can be added using net localgroups administrators DOMAIN\GROUP /add

Quite simple, eh?

2: There's a registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Add/change following values:

DefaultUserName

DefaultDomainName

AutoAdminLogon = 1

If you want to execute a batch as this user try the value

UserInit

:rolleyes:

Have fun! :)