[Solved] Auto-login not working

HyperHacker

I just installed XP Pro on my new laptop, using the same tweaked install disc I use for my PC. One of the tweaks is that it enables automatic login, bypassing the welcome screen. I use a blank password on the PC and just let it log in automatically. On the laptop, however, I want to use a password and require password entry at startup. So I added a password, and it does now show the welcome screen and prompt for the password. However, there's one problem. When the system starts up it tries to automatically log in with a blank password, which fails. This brings up the classic username/password dialog with an error message (incorrect password). When I click OK, the dialog and message disappear and the welcome screen is shown. This is especially odd since "Allow automatic logon" in local security policies is disabled. :blink: How do I stop it trying to log in automatically?

Edited by HyperHacker

I suspect you applied the autologon reg tweak and then changed your pw without updating the registry entry.

So logically, you should check the relevant registry entries. Or go to control userpasswords2 (this is the preferred method since it doesn't involve editing the reg manually and it doesn't write the pw to that key anymore).

I think that's one of the tweaks already made on the disc, but I don't recall how to do it manually. As for userpasswords2 I don't see any automatic login options.

On a somewhat unrelated note, Windows will not connect to my wireless network if another access point is in range. It says it can't connect, and when I view the list of available networks, I have to manually select my network and click Connect. (The signal strength is at maximum in most cases.) It then prompts for a WEP key, even though the key is already entered in the Preffered Networks dialog. After entering the key it never gets past "Waiting for the network". As soon as I move out of range of the other AP and refresh the available network list, it connects to mine automatically with the WEP key it has stored, and I can even move back in range of the other AP. :blink:

Thanks. I knew that was the problem because I'd found the same key on my mom's computer when treating a similar issue, but I couldn't remember what it was called. But checking "Users must enter a password" in Userpasswords2 seems to have unset that and fixed the problem anyway. :P

Edited by HyperHacker