Start - Run - Error: Windows cannot create a shortcut here.

Mpak

Hi, All!

For those who will beat the monitor wondering why pressing Start -> Run (and Search, and Help buttons also) doesn't work anymore showing stupid message "Windows cannot create a shortcut here, place it onto the Desktop instead?", or why Internet Explorer "Manage Add-ons" menu doesn't work too, here is the solution of the problem (it has cost me 4 hours!):

The problem is you recently installed critical Windows updates (of 10 Aug 2006) but you did not install kb908531 (25.04.2006) -- that stupid update which installs Verclsid.exe tool. Install kb908531 and be happy.

• 1 year later...

YOU ARE A LEGEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for your assistance.

I should also mention that this also applies to Server 2003.

Kent :thumbup

Edited by Kdub

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

I want to thank Mpak for the enlightening solution to my problem with XP. After a recent upgrade from win2k to xp pro on an old p3 750 laptop...and doing many windows updates, my new ie8 browser was unable to connect. Firefox worked fine as well as pings etc. I found a solution on a ms help page, but it required me to do a "start, run" which i couldn't do either, because i got "Windows cannot create a shortcut here, place it onto the Desktop instead?". Mpak's solution of "Install kb908531 and be happy" was the golden ticket. Not only did it fix the "start, run" error...but i was able to connect to the internet with ie8. Sheesh.....i must have spent 6 hours researching this problem until i found a solution that worked.

Thanks again Mpak....you have made my day.