Rename Admin Account

vampus8

On the backend, how does nLite rename administrator accounts? Is it a registry tweak? Is this being done through nlite.cmd at guirunonce? It'd be a huge help. Thanks everyone.

Kevin

I don't know exactly, but here's what I see.

In defltwk.in_ (defltwk.inf), we see:

[system Access]NewAdministratorName = "newAdminAcount"

In nlite.in_ (nlite.inf), we see:

[P]HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon","DefaultUserName"

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon","AltDefaultUserName"

[T]

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon","DefaultUserName",0x00000000,"newAdminAcount"

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon","AltDefaultUserName",0x00000000,"newAdminAcount"

Really, that's all that happens. As far as I can see "NewAdministratorName" is a definable value, and Windows does the rest. The part in nlite.inf just makes the logging in easier.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I also need to rename the default "administrator". Because our PC's join our domain during the RIS installation, the PC's have our domain policies applied during the last reboot of the default installation.

Because one of our policies rename the admin account, the auto-logon failed. That's why I have to change the admin name.

I read this post, searched for the "DEFLTWK.IN_ file and opened it. But this file only contains strange characters and no "newAdminAcount".....

Could someone please tell me how to make this file readable and of course, adjustable?

Thanks a lot!

I read this post, searched for the "DEFLTWK.IN_ file and opened it. But this file only contains strange characters and no "newAdminAcount".....

Have you actually unpacked DEFLTWK.IN_ ?

You should copy it to some other location then open command prompt and type:

expand DEFLTWK.IN_ DEFLTWK.INF

Then look in the DEFLTWK.INF for [system Access] section and the NewAdministratorName entry should be there. If it's not you can add it as:

NewAdministratorName = "guru"

Obviously change 'guru' to whatever you want admin account to be called. After that you need to pack the DEFLTWK.INF. You'll need makecab for that. Open your cmd prompt again and type:

makecab DEFLTWK.INF

Now you can copy the newly created DEFLTWK.IN_ to your windows source.

The question is: why not simply use nLite for that?

• 8 months later...