Windows 2000 Installation from Windows PE 2005

twalk482

Anyone else running a Windows 2000 Unattended Installation from WIN PE 2005

I am trying to boot to RAMDISK/ISO method of Windows PE 2005 (PE based on 2003)

At the end of my STARTNET.CMD I call the WINNT32.EXE from the WIndows 2000 i386 directory to start an unattended installation I have all options set and a valid UNATTEND.TXT, but now I get an error saying that the WINNTUPG\NETUPGRD.DLL module could not be loaded.

Same PE works with a Windows 2003 unattended installation

I did change the WINNT32 switches to be compatible with Windows 2000 as well

Any help would be appreciated

• 2 months later...

This is the code i use to install Windows 2000 from BartPE. This is the batch file, the unattended.txt is pretty straight forward.

@echo off
echo xcacls i:
xcacls.exe i:\ /P Everyone:F /Y
echo winnt50 setup
l:\wnt50sp4\i386\winnt32.exe /s:l:\wnt50sp4\i386 /tempdrive:i: /unattend:X:\NTBOOT\unattend.txt /noreboot

Windows 2000 uses a different security set to Windows XP, thus you need to run xcacls here to give everyone full control. The /y answers the question are you sure?, is not in cacls.

This is to install it on a different drive (since i multiboot, and c:\ is a 496 MB fat16 drive.

The remaining drives are set up at install time, (ie i edit a different tape, and run a script to produce this file delsetup.cmd, and unattended.txt. Delsetup.cmd is used to trash the setup if it doesn't work!

I have not had luck with BartPE based on Winxp sp2, because it does not recognise the setup command o:, but winxp sp1 runs like a treat.

W

You really shouldn't be assigning Full Control permissions to everyone like that. It's not necessary, and in fact creates a rather significant security hole. Windows 2000 will install fine without that.

• 1 month later...