Unable to Install USB Device

PaleoTechie

I'm trying to load some software from a flash drive onto a Windows ME system. I get the following message

This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. (Code 10)

I found out that Microsoft had a hotfix for this, but unfortunately I missed out by about 30 days since support for ME expired on 11 July. Do I have any easy options? Upgrading to a new system seems hardly worth it for this old machine.

I'm trying to load some software from a flash drive onto a Windows ME system. I get the following message
This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. (Code 10)

I found out that Microsoft had a hotfix for this, but unfortunately I missed out by about 30 days since support for ME expired on 11 July. Do I have any easy options? Upgrading to a new system seems hardly worth it for this old machine.

What hotfix do you mean? The Unofficial Service Pack for Windows ME contains all of them, and also MDGx has all of them on his website.

Either use this or 62nds' windows update service. http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/

The USB driver is ported driver from Windows Me to Windows 98 SE, but PaleoTechie uses Windows Me!

Microsoft Windows Update still works (even for Windows 95 and Windows NT 4.0) but it does not contain hotfixes. You have to ask MS support for them. They are still avaiable but maybe not for everybody.

Petr

http://www.usbflashdrive.org/usbfd_faq.html#oldcomputer

What is the make of the drive?

Did you install the drivers before you plug the drive in?

One time when I was installing a sim card reader I had to disable one of the cdr because the card reader always wanted to list it as drive E removable drive.

Windows Me should support it out of the box with no driver installed,might need to check the drive letters

Edited by charles__

Thanks, all who responded.

But the problem has now become moot.

I removed the drivers as advised, preparatory to installing Maximus Decim Native USB ver.2.2 (which, by the way, won't work with my ME system). When I plugged the device in a second time the drivers were reloaded and now it works fine.

The drive, by the way, is an Ativa from Office Depot. I could never discover who makes it.