msoobe.exe error

Bigbrit

I have been using Sysprep for about 2 years, I create an image, "Reseal" it and use

it for XP Home installs, all on the same mobo etc., really basic stuff.

My last 4 attempts give me an "msoobe.exe application error" as the PC starts up.

(The exception unknown software exception (0x06d007e) occured etc.)

I am able to create my image on the server after Sysprep but the above happens after Restore.

I know "msoobe.exe" is the dreaded WGA crap, it gets in during the post install as I am installing

all my other stuff. Short of keeping the NIC unplugged, is there any other way to fix this.

Is there a version of Sysprep that knows about WGA ???

WGA is there to stop piracy, I know that. But Microsoft should test this stuff with their own products.

:hello:

Did you use the -activated switch?

I wouldn't immediately rush into blaming WGA. Msoobe existed before WGA. Is WGA involved in WPA? Does the msoobe software exception error occur as a result of invalid product key?

That error message means one of two things when run by msoobe.exe - either it's trying to connect to a machine that isn't listening (NMERR_REMOTE_NOT_A_SERVER) or it couldn't find a module needed to complete the operation it was running at the time (ERROR_MOD_NOT_FOUND).

I'd say it's likely the latter, but a network trace should show you what it's trying to do over the wire if you're that interested in tracking it down - a second machine attached to the same hub (not switch!) should show you what is happening over the wire.