shell32.dll

Hey Guys

i jsut used reshacker to add icons to the shell32.dll but when i try to use the new icons in the shell32.dll it does not display the correct one.

P.S. is it ok to delete all the old icons from it or will it effect windows in some way.

Plz Help

:)

Do you mean in an unattended install situation? Or are you talking about replacing them after your OS is installed?

And it's fine to replace all of the old icons, just use ResHacker's "Replace Icon" option.... (of course a smart thing to do is to back up your original sp1 shell32.dll file just in case...

OK...sorry Terminator...I'm still not sure if you're trying to do this as part of an unattended install situation...

If you are:

I haven't had any luck adding custom system files and hotfixes without rebooting inbetween...so I've made a registry entry that replaces the system files (like shell32) on the next boot, AFTER the hotfixes are installed....when you install them both on the same boot, the new ones never work, they get replaced by the hotfix versions...

If you aren't:

Change your icons....rename the version of the system files that you want to change that are already used by Windows, put yours in the right spot, reboot, and use Tweak UI to "rebuild the icon cache"....that should take care of it...

Have fun :)

Ok....so in an unattended install, if you try to install apps, install hotfixes, change uxtheme and shell32 etc, then reboot, it will not work..

I tried that a bunch of times ( I replace about 25 system files though )....

What you need to do is create a separate batch file to replace your system files, and then tell the registry to run that batch file after it reboots from the apps, hotfixes, uxtheme operations...

You can read a little bit more about making that happen here : Running a batch file after hotfixes have installed...

ok say i wish to add new icons but i do not wish to replace any of the oriangal ones but if i like i can got to prop's and chnage it with one of the new icons which i add before

can this be done as when i add a new icon it does not work.

:)